What is the Supremum of a Set in ℝ?

In summary: Supposing that a^2<0 and that b is an upper bound of T. We want to prove that a<b.So by proof by contradiction we suppose that b<a and let ε=a-b>0. So by definition there exists an x in T such that a-ε<x. By substituting ε with it's value we get that b<x , and that contradicts with our assumption of a<b (b is an upper bound). Finally a^2<2 is false and a=sup(T). Is this ok...?
mtayab1994

Homework Statement

Let T be a set such that:
[tex]T=\{t\in\mathbb{R}/t^{2}<2\}[/tex]

Homework Equations

a) Justify the existence of a real number a such that a=Sup(T)

b) Prove that the proposition [tex]a^{2}<2[/tex] is false.

c) Suppose that [tex]a^{2}>2[/tex]. Prove that we can find a contradiction with a=Sup(T).

d) Conclude that finally [tex]a^{2}=2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Ok we have [tex]t^{2}<2[/tex] which implies t<√2. There for [tex]t\in]-\infty,\sqrt{2}[\subset\mathbb{R}[/tex] , and since T is a non empty set bounded from the top. Hence by the completeness axiom there exists an a in ℝ such that a=Sup(T).

b) I have a feeling that I will have to use a proof by contradiction, but I don't know how to start.

c) I started this one with letting a and b be two upper bounds of T such that a≠b and let ε>0:

Let ε'=a-b>0 . Therefore there exists an x in T such that: a-ε'<x. Therefore, after substituting ε' with its value we get that there exists an x in T such that b<x. Hence we reach a contradiction with b being an upper bound of T therefore b<a. And finally a=Sup(T)

d) Well from b) we have that a^2<2 is a false statement and from c) we found that a^2>2 contradicts with a=Sup(T), which leaves us with a^2=2 and therefore a=Sup(T).

Thank you for your help in advanced.

Physics news on Phys.org
a) Ok we have [tex]t^{2}<2[/tex] which implies t<√2. There for [tex]t\in]-\infty,\sqrt{2}[\subset\mathbb{R}[/tex] , and since T is a non empty set bounded from the top. Hence by the completeness axiom there exists an a in ℝ such that a=Sup(T).
OK, although you could have worded it better. Your claim is that ##T## is a nonempty set bounded from above. So give an example of an element in ##T##, and give an explicit upper bound. You provided ##\sqrt{2}## as an upper bound, and while it's "obvious" that this is correct, a line or two to prove it would be a good idea.

b) I have a feeling that I will have to use a proof by contradiction, but I don't know how to start.
If ##a^2 < 2##, can you find an element of ##T## which is greater than ##a##?

c) I started this one with letting a and b be two upper bounds of T such that a≠b and let ε>0:

Let ε'=a-b>0 .
I don't see how ##a-b > 0## follows from your assumption.

d) Well from b) we have that a^2<2 is a false statement and from c) we found that a^2>2 contradicts with a=Sup(T), which leaves us with a^2=2 and therefore a=Sup(T).
The conclusion is that ##a^2 = 2##. You already defined ##a = \sup(T)## in part (a), so there's no "therefore" about it.

mtayab1994 said:

Homework Statement

Let T be a set such that:
[tex]T=\{t\in\mathbb{R}/t^{2}<2\}[/tex]

Homework Equations

a) Justify the existence of a real number a such that a=Sup(T)

b) Prove that the proposition [tex]a^{2}<2[/tex] is false.

c) Suppose that [tex]a^{2}>2[/tex]. Prove that we can find a contradiction with a=Sup(T).

d) Conclude that finally [tex]a^{2}=2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Ok we have [tex]t^{2}<2[/tex] which implies t<√2.

This is putting the cart before the horse: the object of the question is to prove that there actually exists a positive real number [itex]a[/itex] such that [itex]a^2 = 2[/itex].

jbunniii said:
OK, although you could have worded it better. Your claim is that ##T## is a nonempty set bounded from above. So give an example of an element in ##T##, and give an explicit upper bound. You provided ##\sqrt{2}## as an upper bound, and while it's "obvious" that this is correct, a line or two to prove it would be a good idea.

If ##a^2 < 2##, can you find an element of ##T## which is greater than ##a##?

I don't see how ##a-b > 0## follows from your assumption.

The conclusion is that ##a^2 = 2##. You already defined ##a = \sup(T)## in part (a), so there's no "therefore" about it.

B) No there is no element in T that's greater than a since a is the sup(T). Is that all?

mtayab1994 said:
B) No there is no element in T that's greater than a since a is the sup(T). Is that all?
Let me rephrase the question. Suppose ##a^2 < 2##. Can you find a number ##t \in T## such that ##t > a##, and therefore ##a## cannot be the supremum of ##T##?

jbunniii said:
Let me rephrase the question. Suppose ##a^2 < 2##. Can you find a number ##t \in T## such that ##t > a##, and therefore ##a## cannot be the supremum of ##T##?

Supposing that a^2<0 and that b is an upper bound of T. We want to prove that a<b.

So by proof by contradiction we suppose that b<a and let ε=a-b>0. So by definition there exists an x in T such that a-ε<x. By substituting ε with it's value we get that b<x , and that contradicts with our assumption of a<b (b is an upper bound). Finally a^2<2 is false and a=sup(T). Is this ok now?

mtayab1994 said:
Supposing that a^2<0 and that b is an upper bound of T. We want to prove that a<b.
I think you mean ##a^2 < 2##.

So by proof by contradiction we suppose that b<a and let ε=a-b>0. So by definition there exists an x in T such that a-ε<x. By substituting ε with it's value we get that b<x , and that contradicts with our assumption of a<b (b is an upper bound). Finally a^2<2 is false and a=sup(T). Is this ok now?
I don't see where you used the assumption that ##a^2 < 2##.

I don't think you want to introduce ##b## as an upper bound of ##T##. Try this instead: Suppose that ##a## is any real number such that ##a^2 < 2##. Then I claim that there is some ##t \in T## (not necessarily an upper bound of ##T##) such that ##a < t##. Therefore ##a## is not even an upper bound of ##T##, so it cannot be the supremum of ##T##. All you need to do is prove the claim.

jbunniii said:
I think you mean ##a^2 < 2##.

I don't see where you used the assumption that ##a^2 < 2##.

I don't think you want to introduce ##b## as an upper bound of ##T##. Try this instead: Suppose that ##a## is any real number such that ##a^2 < 2##. Then I claim that there is some ##t \in T## (not necessarily an upper bound of ##T##) such that ##a < t##. Therefore ##a## is not even an upper bound of ##T##, so it cannot be the supremum of ##T##. All you need to do is prove the claim.

Ok so I let there be two elements of T (a and t) such that a≠t, and we want to prove that a<t<2.

So with a proof by contradiction we'll say that t<a<2 and let ε=t-a>0. When we plug in ε to the previous inequality we get that ε+a<a⇔ ε<0 which contradicts with it being greater than 0. I'm pretty sure this isn't it though.

mtayab1994 said:
Ok so I let there be two elements of T (a and t) such that a≠t, and we want to prove that a<t<2.
No, first of all, you want ##a < t < \sqrt{2}##, not ##a < t < 2##. And you can't "let there be" two such elements. Start with an element ##a \in T## (i.e. ##a^2 < 2##). You want to prove that there EXISTS an element ##t\in T## such that ##a < t##.

Hint: if ##a^2 < 2##, then there exists a rational number of the form ##p^2/q^2## such that ##a^2 < p^2/q^2 < 2##. (Why?)

jbunniii said:
Hint: if ##a^2 < 2##, then there exists a rational number of the form ##p^2/q^2## such that ##a^2 < p^2/q^2 < 2##. (Why?)

Well like you said and if we have p and q two co-prime integers then when we square root them we get: a<p/q<√2 and multiply by q and we get aq<p<q*√2. I was thinking that's going to say that p isn't an integer but you can't say from what I've reached.

1. What is the definition of "Supremum" in ℝ?

The supremum of a set in ℝ is the least upper bound of the set, meaning it is the smallest number that is greater than or equal to all the elements in the set. It is denoted by sup(A) or suprema of A.

2. How is the supremum of a set in ℝ calculated?

The supremum of a set in ℝ can be calculated by taking the maximum value of the set if it is finite, or by finding the limit of the set as it approaches infinity if the set is infinite.

3. How is supremum different from maximum in ℝ?

The supremum and maximum of a set in ℝ are similar in that they both represent the largest element in the set. However, supremum can exist even if the set does not contain a maximum element, whereas maximum must be an element within the set.

4. Can a set in ℝ have more than one supremum?

Yes, a set in ℝ can have multiple supremums if the set is not bounded. An unbounded set could have multiple values that serve as the least upper bound, making them all supremums.

5. How is supremum used in real-world applications?

The concept of supremum is used in various fields such as economics, finance, and physics. In economics, it is used to determine the maximum price a consumer is willing to pay for a good. In finance, it is used to calculate the maximum return on an investment. In physics, it is used to find the maximum speed or temperature that a system can reach.