1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Supremum proof help

1. Oct 3, 2008 #1
    Statement to prove:
    (Note: Q is the set of all rational numbers)
    Let B = {r in Q: r > 0 and r² < 2} and α = sup B. Prove that α² = 2.

My work on the proof:
    Let B = {r in Q: r > 0 and r² < 2} and α = sup B. Note 1 is in B so B is not empty. By definition of B, 0 is an upper bound of B. Hence the supremum (sup) of B exists.
    Call sup B "α". If α² < 2, then α < √2. So by theorem, there exists an r in B such that
    α ≤ r < √2. Since r < √2, r < 0 which is a contradiction (C!) to r being in B.
    If α² > 2, then α > 2. By density, there exists an r in Q such that
    α > r > √2. Since r > √2, then r² > 2. C! to r B. Therefore, α² = 2. QED.

Is my logic correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2008 #2

statdad

Homework Helper

No = you begin by correctly noting that [tex] 1 \in B [/tex], so how can [tex] 0 [/tex] be an upper bound for the set. This comes back when you state that [tex] r < 0 [/tex]. The notion of a proof by contradiction is the way to go, though.

4. Oct 3, 2008 #3
    So can I say that 1 is an upper bound? I need to state an upper bound in order for the supremum to exist, right? So, how can I name an upper bound?

So can 2 be an upper bound then since r^2 < 2?

5. Oct 9, 2008 #4
    Redo of proof:

So I turned this in and got 3/8. I can redo this proof to get 6/8 which would boost my HW grade from a B to an A.

My original proof was:
    Let B = {r in Q: r > 0 and r² < 2} and (alpha) = sup B. Note 1 is in B so B is not empty. By definition of B, 2 is an upper bound of B. Hence the supremum (sup) of B exists.
    Call sup B "(alpha)". If (alpha)² < 2, then (alpha) < √2. By theorem, there exists an r in B such that (alpha) ≤ r < √2. Since r < √2, r < 0 which is a contradiction (C!) to r being in B.
    If (alpha)² > 2, then (alpha) > 2. By density, there exists an r in Q such that
    (alpha) > r > √2. Since r > √2, then r² > 2. C! to r B. Therefore, (alpha)² = 2. QED.

Comments my professor wrote on my homework were:
    "Be careful...the theorem works for (beta) < sup or inf < (beta). Here we have (alpha) < √2 or "sup < (beta)" -- the theorem doesn't work. Use density in this case."
    She also wrote, "How did you get r in B?" and that "Yes, density gives r in Q (the rationals)."

Here is my attempt at a redo:
    Let B = {r in Q: r > 0 and r² < 2} and (alpha) = sup B. Note 1 is in B so B is not empty. By definition of B, 2 is an upper bound of B. Hence the supremum (sup) of B exists.
    Call sup B "(alpha)". If (alpha)² < 2, then (alpha) < √2. By density, there exists an r in B such that (alpha) ≤ r < √2. C! to definition of supremum.
    If (alpha)² > 2, then (alpha) > √2. By density, there exists an r in B such that
    √2 < r < (alpha). In particular, since r > √2, then r > 0 but r² > 2. C! to r being in B. Therefore, (alpha)² = 2. QED.

Is that better than what I had?

6. Oct 9, 2008 #5
    That is much better.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?