Producing Electrical Energy from Surf: A Cylinder and Turbine

In summary, the conversation discusses a way to produce electrical energy from surf using a turbine that rotates in only one direction regardless of the air direction. The turbine is called a Wells turbine and has been around since the 1980s. The speaker expresses their intention to search for a place to purchase a small Wells turbine.
hisham.i
Hello,

I was watching national geographic from 1 or 2 weeks, and they illustrated a way to produce electrical energy from surf.
I will try to explain the principle:
1- They brought a cylinder, and attached to it a turbine which is designed to rotate in only one direction independent of the direction of the air.
2- they put the other part in water.
when water height increase, the air inside the cylinder will flow in upward direction, and when the water height decrease the air inside the cylinder flow in downward direction, which causes the turbine to rotate in THE SAME DIRECTION.

I googled to find the name of this turbine which rotates in only one direction independent of the air direction but i didn't find it.

Any body knows its name?
Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks a lot, this what i was looking for :).

Now i will search to find some where to buy a small one of these turbines.

1. How does the cylinder and turbine system produce electrical energy from surf?

The cylinder and turbine system works by harnessing the kinetic energy of waves in the ocean. As the waves pass through the cylinder, they cause it to rotate, which in turn spins the turbine. The turbine is connected to a generator, which converts the rotational energy into electrical energy that can be used to power homes and businesses.

2. What is the efficiency of this system compared to other methods of producing electricity?

The efficiency of the cylinder and turbine system varies depending on several factors, such as the size of the waves and the design of the system. However, on average, this system has an efficiency of around 40%, which is comparable to other renewable energy sources such as wind and solar power.

3. Are there any potential negative impacts on the environment from using this system?

Generally, using a cylinder and turbine system to produce electricity from surf has minimal negative impacts on the environment. The system does not require any fuel or produce emissions, making it a clean source of energy. However, it is important to consider potential disruption to marine life and the need for proper installation and maintenance to prevent damage to the ocean floor.

4. Can this system be used in any location with surf or are there specific requirements?

The cylinder and turbine system can be used in any location with consistent surf, such as near coastlines or in open ocean areas. However, the system does require a certain water depth and wave height to function properly. Additionally, the design and orientation of the system may vary depending on the specific location and conditions.

5. Is this technology currently being used on a large scale or is it still in the early stages of development?

The use of cylinder and turbine systems to produce electrical energy from surf is still in the early stages of development. While there are a few pilot projects and small-scale installations in operation, the technology is not yet widely used on a large scale. However, as renewable energy sources become more important in the fight against climate change, it is likely that this technology will continue to be developed and implemented in the future.