Surface and angles (1 Viewer)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Prove that the acute angle [tex]\gamma[/tex] between the z axis and the normal to the surface F(x,y,z)=0 at any point is given by [tex]sec \gamma = \frac{\sqrt{F_x^2 +F_y^2+F_z^2}}{|F_z|}}[/tex]

Where i am having trouble is that i do not know what this surface is, can someone help clarify what the surface is. thanks

Last edited:
The point is that it doesn't matter what the surface is, the equation should hold for any F(x,y,z) with continuous partial derivatives.

can i use something like Ax + By + Cz = D as the surface and then show this relationship?

No, Ax + By + Cz = D is the equation of a plane, a very specific type of surface. This question asks you to prove it for any surface of the form F(x,y,z) = 0. You first need to find the equation of a normal vector to the surface, then work on what [tex] \gamma [/tex] might be.

or would it be [tex]AF_x + BF_y + CF_z = D [/tex] where the normal vector would be [A, B, C]?

i am not sure how to begin this one, is there any hint for what i should go about doing

thenewbosco said:
i am not sure how to begin this one, is there any hint for what i should go about doing
slearch said:
You first need to find the equation of a normal vector to the surface.
And to do this, you should think about what the properties the normal vector to a surface might have.

oh does the F sub x mean the x part of the gradient?

[tex] F_x [/tex] is the partial of F with respect to x, yes.

thanks, it was no problem actually i just had some brain cramp and didnt think of [tex]F_x[/tex] being the x component of the gradient vector

glad to help :)

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving