1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface and angles

1. Nov 12, 2006 #1
    Prove that the acute angle [tex]\gamma[/tex] between the z axis and the normal to the surface F(x,y,z)=0 at any point is given by [tex]sec \gamma = \frac{\sqrt{F_x^2 +F_y^2+F_z^2}}{|F_z|}}[/tex]

Where i am having trouble is that i do not know what this surface is, can someone help clarify what the surface is. thanks

Last edited: Nov 12, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2006 #2
    The point is that it doesn't matter what the surface is, the equation should hold for any F(x,y,z) with continuous partial derivatives.

4. Nov 12, 2006 #3
    can i use something like Ax + By + Cz = D as the surface and then show this relationship?

5. Nov 12, 2006 #4
    No, Ax + By + Cz = D is the equation of a plane, a very specific type of surface. This question asks you to prove it for any surface of the form F(x,y,z) = 0. You first need to find the equation of a normal vector to the surface, then work on what [tex] \gamma [/tex] might be.

6. Nov 12, 2006 #5
    or would it be [tex]AF_x + BF_y + CF_z = D [/tex] where the normal vector would be [A, B, C]?

7. Nov 12, 2006 #6
    i am not sure how to begin this one, is there any hint for what i should go about doing

8. Nov 12, 2006 #7
    And to do this, you should think about what the properties the normal vector to a surface might have.

9. Nov 12, 2006 #8
    oh does the F sub x mean the x part of the gradient?

10. Nov 12, 2006 #9
    [tex] F_x [/tex] is the partial of F with respect to x, yes.

11. Nov 12, 2006 #10
    thanks, it was no problem actually i just had some brain cramp and didnt think of [tex]F_x[/tex] being the x component of the gradient vector

12. Nov 12, 2006 #11
    glad to help :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?