Acute Angle Between Z-Axis and Surface Normal in Surface and Angles Proof

In summary, the acute angle \gamma between the z axis and the normal to the surface F(x,y,z)=0 at any point is given by sec \gamma = \frac{\sqrt{F_x^2 +F_y^2+F_z^2}}{|F_z|}}.
thenewbosco
Prove that the acute angle [tex]\gamma[/tex] between the z axis and the normal to the surface F(x,y,z)=0 at any point is given by [tex]sec \gamma = \frac{\sqrt{F_x^2 +F_y^2+F_z^2}}{|F_z|}}[/tex]

Where i am having trouble is that i do not know what this surface is, can someone help clarify what the surface is. thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The point is that it doesn't matter what the surface is, the equation should hold for any F(x,y,z) with continuous partial derivatives.

can i use something like Ax + By + Cz = D as the surface and then show this relationship?

No, Ax + By + Cz = D is the equation of a plane, a very specific type of surface. This question asks you to prove it for any surface of the form F(x,y,z) = 0. You first need to find the equation of a normal vector to the surface, then work on what [tex] \gamma [/tex] might be.

or would it be [tex]AF_x + BF_y + CF_z = D [/tex] where the normal vector would be [A, B, C]?

i am not sure how to begin this one, is there any hint for what i should go about doing

thenewbosco said:
i am not sure how to begin this one, is there any hint for what i should go about doing

slearch said:
You first need to find the equation of a normal vector to the surface.

And to do this, you should think about what the properties the normal vector to a surface might have.

oh does the F sub x mean the x part of the gradient?

[tex] F_x [/tex] is the partial of F with respect to x, yes.

thanks, it was no problem actually i just had some brain cramp and didnt think of [tex]F_x[/tex] being the x component of the gradient vector

glad to help :)

1. What is an acute angle?

An acute angle is an angle that measures less than 90 degrees, or is smaller than a right angle.

2. How is the angle between the z-axis and surface normal determined?

The angle between the z-axis and surface normal is determined by finding the angle formed by the intersection of the two lines or planes.

3. What is the significance of the acute angle between the z-axis and surface normal?

The acute angle between the z-axis and surface normal is important in surface and angles proof as it helps determine the orientation and tilt of a surface, which can affect the behavior of light and other forces on the surface.

4. Can the acute angle between the z-axis and surface normal change?

Yes, the acute angle between the z-axis and surface normal can change depending on the orientation and movement of the surface. It can also be affected by external forces acting on the surface.

5. How is the acute angle between the z-axis and surface normal used in scientific research?

The acute angle between the z-axis and surface normal is used in various scientific fields, such as optics, material sciences, and engineering, to study and understand the behavior of surfaces and their interaction with light and other forces.