1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface Area Integral

1. Apr 27, 2012 #1

ElijahRockers

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the area of the surface z=7+2x+2y2 that lies above the triangle with vertices (0,0) (0,1) and (2,1)

3. The attempt at a solution

It's not a particularly difficult problem to set up, I just can't seem to get a simple integrand.

∫∫√(16y2+5) dA is what I come up with, and I'm not quite sure how to find the anti-derivative of that. dA=dy dx, 0<y<(x/2) & 0<x<2.

I can't do a u-sub because I don't have anything to cancel out dy with. I've looked in some integral tables also, and the closest thing I could think of would give me an arcsin function and I'm pretty sure that's not how I'm supposed to do it.

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2012 #2

jambaugh

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

First integrate with respect to x, you'll get a y factor from one of your limits. You can then do the integration with a simple substitution d(a y^2 + b) = 2y dy.

You'll have another term however with no "extra y". To integrate [itex]\sqrt{a y^2 + b}dy[/itex] you'll need a trig substitution.
    First divide out the coefficient:
    [itex]\sqrt{a(y^2+b/a)}[/itex]
    and then its a matter of integrating [itex] \int \sqrt{y^2 + c^2}dy[/itex].
    Try the trig substitution y = c * tan(theta).
    (Or if you like hyperbolic trig, y = c * sinh(z).)

4. Apr 27, 2012 #3

ElijahRockers

Gold Member

Thanks!

I integrated with respect to x first, and as it turned out, the y factor from my limit actually enabled me to do a simple u-substitution. The algebra was a little hairy, but the answer was correct!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook