Find Surface Area obtained by rotating a curve?

In summary: = 2 \pi \int_{1} ^{3} x \sqrt{1+ \left( \frac{dx}{dy} \right) ^2} dy= 2 \pi \int_{1} ^{3} \left( \frac{1}{3}y^{3/2}-y^{1/2} \right) \sqrt{1+ \left( \frac{1}{2}y^{1/2}-\frac{1}{2} \right) ^2} dy= 2 \pi \int_{1} ^{3} \left( \frac{1}{3}y^{3/2}-y^{1/2}
seichan
Find the area of the surface obtained by rotating the curve
y=2e^(2y)
from y=0 to y=4 about the y-axis.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. This has my whole hall stumped. We know that you have to use the equation 2pi*int(g(y)sqrt(1+(derivative of function)^2), but cannot figure out how to integrate this correctly.

What I have gotten so far:
y=2e^(2y)
[when u=2y, du/2=dx]
y=e^u
New bounds: 1 to e^4

2pi*int(e^u*sqrt(1+(e^u)^2)

How do you go from there? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, the problem is x=2e^(2y)

[itex]x=2e^{2y} \Rightarrow \frac{dx}{dy}=4e^{2y}[/itex]

[tex]S=2\pi \int _{0} ^{4} x\sqrt{1+\left(\frac{dx}{dy}\right)^2} dy[/tex]

[tex]S=2\pi \int _{0} ^{4} 2e^{2y}\sqrt{1+(4e^{2y})^2} dy[/tex]

Let [itex]u=4e^{2y} \Rightarrow \frac{du}{dy}=8e^2y \Rightarrow \frac{du}{4}=2e^{2y}dy[/itex]

[tex]\equiv S=2\pi \int \frac{1}{4} \sqrt{1+u^2} du[/tex]

I think a hyperbolic trig. substitution will work here e.g.t=sinhx (OR if you want t=secx)

Thank you very much. I got this far, but tried to use normal trig substitution. IT goes without saying that it didn't really work for me.

[tex]\equiv S=2\pi \int \frac{1}{4} \sqrt{1+u^2} du[/tex]

Let [itex]u=sect \Rightarrow \frac{du}{dt}=secttant \Rightarrow du=secttant dt[/itex]

[tex] \frac{\pi}{2}\int \sqrt{1+sec^2t}secttant dt \equiv \frac{\pi}{2}\int \sqrt{tan^2t}secttant dt[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\pi}{2}\int secttan^2t dt \equiv \frac{\pi}{2}\int sect(sec^2t-1) dt[/tex]

Long and tedious but it should work.

you could just use trig substitution where something in the form sqrt(A^2+X^2) should be approached making the substitution u=tangent(theta)

so you could plus u into sqrt(1+u^2) and end up with sec(theta)
then have du=sec^2(theta)

then for 2pi*integtal(0.25sqrt(1+u^2))du you would get

pi/2*integral(sec(theta)*sec^2(theta))d(theta)

then just use u substitution and get your answer

tron_2.0 said:
you could just use trig substitution where something in the form sqrt(A^2+X^2) should be approached making the substitution u=tangent(theta)

so you could plus u into sqrt(1+u^2) and end up with sec(theta)
then have du=sec^2(theta)

then for 2pi*integtal(0.25sqrt(1+u^2))du you would get

pi/2*integral(sec(theta)*sec^2(theta))d(theta)

then just use u substitution and get your answer

Ahhh yes my mistake..sect would be the wrong trig fn...tant is much better...My mistake...Though I prefer the hyperbolic ones to the trig ones

xo.Stardust said:
Find the surface area by rotating the curve x=(1/3)y^(3/2) - y^(1/2) about the y- axis between 1 and 3.
Not making much progress with this question, any help would be appreciated.

it is not good to thread-jack, so start a new thread showing your work

use this formula

[tex]S= \int_{y_1} ^{y_2} 2 \pi x ds \ where \ ds=\sqrt{1+ \left( \frac{dx}{dy} \right) ^2} dy[/tex]

1. What is the formula for finding the surface area obtained by rotating a curve?

The formula for finding the surface area obtained by rotating a curve is given by:

S = 2π∫a b f(x)√(1+(f'(x))^2)dx

Where a and b are the limits of integration and f(x) is the function representing the curve.

2. How do you determine the limits of integration for finding the surface area?

The limits of integration are determined by the range of x values that the curve covers. You can set the lower limit a to be the starting x value and the upper limit b to be the ending x value.

3. Can this formula be used for any type of curve?

Yes, this formula can be used for any type of curve as long as it is continuous and can be expressed as a function of x.

4. What are the units for the surface area obtained by rotating a curve?

The units for the surface area obtained by rotating a curve will depend on the units used for the function representing the curve. For example, if the function is measured in meters, then the surface area will be measured in square meters.

5. Can this formula be used for finding the surface area of a three-dimensional object?

No, this formula is specifically for finding the surface area obtained by rotating a curve in two dimensions. For finding the surface area of a three-dimensional object, a different formula and approach would be needed.