Surface area of a bulb filament

In summary, the conversation is about determining the surface area of a typical 60W incandescent bulb filament for a research project that applies the Stefan-Boltzmann law. The participants discuss various methods for measuring the surface area, including breaking open a bulb and measuring the filament, but also consider the potential for an "effective" surface area due to the bent shape of the filament. They also discuss how the calculations may be affected by the bulb's temperature, emissivity, and varying wattage. Ultimately, they are unable to accurately determine the surface area and acknowledge the limitations of their methods.
elegysix
Does anyone know what it is, or where I can find the surface area of a typical 60W incandescent bulb filament? (if possible, by GE)

I'm working on a research project and we're applying the stefan-boltzmann law. I'm calculating an area around 3e-5 m^2.
I figure I'm in the ballpark, but I'd like something to use as a reference to check it.

Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
elegysix said:
Does anyone know what it is, or where I can find the surface area of a typical 60W incandescent bulb filament? (if possible, by GE)

I'm working on a research project and we're applying the stefan-boltzmann law. I'm calculating an area around 3e-5 m^2.
I figure I'm in the ballpark, but I'd like something to use as a reference to check it.

Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks for any help

Can you just break open a bulp (carefully) and measure it?

I really doubt I could do something like that accurately. But that's worth a shot if I get desperate. heh.

elegysix said:
I really doubt I could do something like that accurately. But that's worth a shot if I get desperate. heh.

Why would it be hard? If you cut the filament(s) off of their posts, stretch them out, measure their lengths and use calipers to measure their diameters, it seems like you could get pretty close.

Of course if they are too brittle to straighten out, then nevermind... :smile:

Oh wait, I guess I had a simpler filament structure in mind. Is it just the exterior surface area of the filament that you need to use?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/08/Filament.jpg
Filament.jpg

elegysix said:

Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks for any help

Unless you do some complex calculations what you'll get will be some effective surface are not the actual surface area. That happens because the bent shape of the filament allows many of the photons emitted by the filament to be absorbed by the filament itself. That effect must be taken into account when calculating the actual area of the filament. Did you take that into account?

I'm pretty sure they just want to estimate the effective area. It should be within an order of magnitude of the physical surface area, at any rate.

Wikipedia said:
For a 60-watt 120-volt lamp, the uncoiled length of the tungsten filament is usually 22.8 inches (580 mm),[40] and the filament diameter is 0.0018 inches (0.046 mm).
That's 8x10-5m². So the value you are getting is in the right ballpark.

Keep in mind that what you want to keep constant when changing wattage of the bulb is the temperature of the filament. And since that means energy in = energy out, a 40W bulb is going to have 2/3 of the surface area of the 60W bulb. So you should have no trouble converting the above number to whatever wattage that applies to your computation.

As dauto pointed out, you shouldn't expect it to be exactly the same. But they should be within a small multiple of each other. I'd be surprised if it's more than 2-3 times off.

The area probably almost doubles when white hot, though it's difficult to gauge by eye because of an optical illusion that glowing objects seem larger than they really are. (The coefficient of thermal expansion of tungsten should tell us unequivocally.)

Thanks for the replies everyone, we've been working on modeling the light bulb spectrum at various currents with the Planck spectral distribution (planck's law), and from that we calculate the filament temperature. We then took the stefan-boltzmann law and fit [itex]P=IV=a\sigma T^{4}[/itex] and found a value for a, which should represent the surface area of the filament. Trouble is, we really don't have a viable way to check it. And I hadn't thought about an 'effective' surface area, so that really throws us off. We're at a dead end for now, but thanks for the help.

elegysix said:
Thanks for the replies everyone, we've been working on modeling the light bulb spectrum at various currents with the Planck spectral distribution (planck's law), and from that we calculate the filament temperature. We then took the stefan-boltzmann law and fit [itex]P=IV=a\sigma T^{4}[/itex] and found a value for a, which should represent the surface area of the filament. Trouble is, we really don't have a viable way to check it. And I hadn't thought about an 'effective' surface area, so that really throws us off. We're at a dead end for now, but thanks for the help.

What do you mean that you don't have a way to check it? That's what experiments are all about...

tell me a value for 'a' and I will calculate our error. See what I mean? I have no way to say anything other than that we're in the ballpark, and that's not good enough.
Even if I were to take apart the filament and measure it, I have no way to know the 'effective' surface area.

elegysix said:

This seems like an odd thing to check- the Stefan-Boltzmann also incorporates material emissivity which varies with both wavelength and temperature. Unless you know the filament's emissivity, you are not going to be able to accurately calculate either T or a. If you've assumed e = 1 (blackbody), which is common enough, then you shouldn't be too concerned about accurately determining 'a' or 'T'.

Andy Resnick said:
This seems like an odd thing to check- the Stefan-Boltzmann also incorporates material emissivity which varies with both wavelength and temperature. Unless you know the filament's emissivity, you are not going to be able to accurately calculate either T or a. If you've assumed e = 1 (blackbody), which is common enough, then you shouldn't be too concerned about accurately determining 'a' or 'T'.
We did regression with MATLAB and fit both the emmissivity and temperature in Planck's law, that's where we got our value for T, and our value for P came from the voltage and current data.

We assumed emmissivity was a constant in Planck's law, which got us pretty close, but we are now searching for a better approximation.
I have seen an approximation of the form e = aT + bλ + cλT
does anyone know of a reference regarding the emmissivity of a tungsten filament?
thanks

Last edited:
There are special lamps for precision measurements in photometric, for example this one:
http://www.pyrometer.com/ribbon_lamp.html

I´ve found one source for emissivity of tungsten here:
http://www.monarchserver.com/TableofEmissivity.pdf

If you expect high accuracy in photometric measurements you may be in for a disappointment. Within ballpark is probably good enough (at least in an educational context)

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks maimonides, that's close, but I'm looking for a model of emmissivity as a function of wavelength (particularly) but also temperature. I suspect I will end up modeling it.

For those who are interested in the finer details of why:
we have two operating modes with our spectrometer, and relative irradiance mode (RIM) uses a specific formula to calculate the values it outputs. The trouble is that when you work out that formula you will find it outputs the spectrum we want, divided by the emmissivity of the calibration source. The calibrated lamp is a tungsten source, So theoretically, if we knew the emmissivity of the tungsten calibration source as a function of wavelength, we could correct the RIM data to match the AIM data. The plot shows reference data, data from absolute irradiance mode (AIM) and data from RIM, normalized. This is the sun's spectrum - It was cloudy today when I took these data sets, so there is some error with the AIM data, but that is irrelevant for now.

RIM_AIM_ASTM_11_20.jpg

Last edited:

What is the surface area of a bulb filament?

The surface area of a bulb filament refers to the total area of the filament's external surface. It is calculated by adding up the areas of all the individual surfaces that make up the filament.

Why is the surface area of a bulb filament important to know?

The surface area of a bulb filament is important because it affects the brightness and efficiency of the bulb. A larger surface area allows for more heat to be dissipated, resulting in a brighter and more efficient light.

How is the surface area of a bulb filament calculated?

The surface area of a bulb filament can be calculated using the formula for the surface area of a cylinder, where the height is the length of the filament and the radius is the thickness of the filament. The formula is A = 2πrh + 2πr^2, where A is the surface area, r is the radius, and h is the height.

Does the surface area of a bulb filament affect its lifespan?

Yes, the surface area of a bulb filament can affect its lifespan. A larger surface area means that the filament is exposed to more heat, which can cause it to burn out faster. However, a larger surface area also allows for better heat dissipation, which can extend the lifespan of the filament.

How does the surface area of a bulb filament impact the type of bulb used?

The surface area of a bulb filament is an important factor to consider when choosing a bulb type. Bulbs with larger surface areas, such as incandescent bulbs, produce more heat and light, while bulbs with smaller surface areas, such as LED bulbs, are more energy-efficient and have longer lifespans. Ultimately, the choice of bulb type should depend on the specific lighting needs and priorities of the user.