Surface area of a curve

In summary: The range of y is -13 to 3.In summary, we are given a curve that is rotated about the y-axis and asked to find the area of the resulting surface. To do this, we use the equation A_{y} =2\pi\int_a^b x \sqrt{1+\left(\frac{dx}{dy}\right)^2} dy and rewrite x in terms of y. After finding the correct derivative and fixing a few errors, we integrate from -13 to 3 and multiply by 2 since the range is doubled due to the rotation. The final answer involves an integral that can be solved by guessing or using u-substitution.
stunner5000pt

Homework Statement

The given curve is rotated about the y-axis. Find the area of the resulting surface.
[tex] y = 3 - x^2 [/tex]
[itex] 0 \leq x \leq 4 [/itex]

Homework Equations

[tex] A_{y} =2\pi\int_a^b x \sqrt{1+\left(\frac{dx}{dy}\right)^2} dy [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

now we need to write x in terms of y so we get:
[tex] x = \pm \sqrt{3-y} [/tex]
and if we differentiate the above, we get:

[tex] \frac{dx}{dy} = -\frac{1}{\sqrt{3-y}} [/tex]

Our range also changes
when x = 0, then y = 3
and x = 4, then y = -13

so then our integral is:

[tex] A_{y} =2\pi\int_{-13}^{3} 2\sqrt{3-x} \sqrt{1+ \left(-\frac{1}{\sqrt{3-y}}\right)^2} dy [/tex]

So i multiplied the above by 2 instead of plus or minus
and in addition to that, do we need to consider the dx/dy term? Does that need to be multiplied as well?

Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
For one thing, I think your derivative is a bit off. For another thing if x=sqrt(3-y) why did change it to sqrt(3-x) in your integral? And you don't really have to worry about the +/- bit. x in your integral is really a radius. The sign doesn't matter. Draw a picture.

Last edited:
It might have been a little easier to work with ds =√(1+(dy/dx)2).dx instead, but it should work either way.
I don't understand why you multiplied by 2 at the end. The choice between ±√ for the value of x is just that, a choice. One will give you a negative result, one positive. You know the answer is to be positive, so just take the positive value at the end.

haruspex said:
It might have been a little easier to work with ds =√(1+(dy/dx)2).dx instead, but it should work either way.
I don't understand why you multiplied by 2 at the end. The choice between ±√ for the value of x is just that, a choice. One will give you a negative result, one positive. You know the answer is to be positive, so just take the positive value at the end.

Dick said:
For one thing, I think your derivative is a bit off. For another thing if x=sqrt(3-y) why did change it to sqrt(3-x) in your integral? And you don't really have to worry about the +/- bit. x in your integral is really a radius. The sign doesn't matter. Draw a picture.

Thanks for your replies. Let me fix what you have mentioned:

The derivative is off:

[tex] \frac{dx}{dy} = -\frac{1}{2 \sqrt{3-y}} [/tex]

And fixing that and the 2 in the integral:
[tex] A_{y} =2\pi\int_{-13}^{3} \sqrt{3-y} \sqrt{1+ \left(\frac{1}{2 \sqrt{3-y}}\right)^2} dy [/tex]

How does this look now?

stunner5000pt said:
Thanks for your replies. Let me fix what you have mentioned:

The derivative is off:

[tex] \frac{dx}{dy} = -\frac{1}{2 \sqrt{3-y}} [/tex]

And fixing that and the 2 in the integral:
[tex] A_{y} =2\pi\int_{-13}^{3} \sqrt{3-y} \sqrt{1+ \left(\frac{1}{2 \sqrt{3-y}}\right)^2} dy [/tex]

How does this look now?

Much better. Now if you can try to work it out without Wolfram, that would be better yet. It's really not terribly hard.

Dick said:
Much better. Now if you can try to work it out without Wolfram, that would be better yet. It's really not terribly hard.

since they are both under root we can multiply the 3-y into the big root. this will yield under the root [itex] -y +\frac{13}{4} [/itex] which we can integrate by guessing or by u-substitution.

Thank you!

Can someone explain the range change to me?

Shelby Roy said:
Can someone explain the range change to me?
The original range was stated as bounds on x. Because the integral was constructed as with respect to y, the solver had to find the range for y. As I remarked at the time, the whole problem would have been easier using x as the variable of integration.

1. What is the definition of surface area of a curve?

The surface area of a curve is the total area of the surface formed by a curve when it is rotated around a specific axis. It is the measure of the amount of space that the curve occupies in three-dimensional space.

2. How is the surface area of a curve calculated?

The formula for calculating the surface area of a curve is ∫2πy√1+(dy/dx)^2 dx, where y is the function of the curve and dy/dx represents the derivative of the function. This integral is evaluated over the interval of the curve.

3. What is the purpose of finding the surface area of a curve?

Finding the surface area of a curve is important in many fields of science and engineering, such as physics, chemistry, and architecture. It helps in understanding the properties and behavior of three-dimensional objects and can be used in applications such as calculating the volume of a shape or determining the strength of a structure.

4. Can the surface area of a curve be negative?

No, the surface area of a curve cannot be negative. It is a measure of the amount of space that a curve occupies and thus it is always a positive value. However, the surface area can be equal to zero if the curve has no length or if it is a straight line.

5. How does the surface area of a curve change as the curve is rotated?

The surface area of a curve changes as the curve is rotated around an axis depending on the shape of the curve and the axis of rotation. The surface area can increase, decrease, or remain constant. For example, if a curve is rotated around an axis that is parallel to the curve, the surface area will remain unchanged. However, if the axis is perpendicular to the curve, the surface area will increase as the curve is rotated.