Surface area of a curve

Homework Statement

An industrial settling pond has a parabolic cross section described by the equation [itex] y = \frac{x^2}{80} [/itex]. the pond is 40 m across and 5 m deep at the cetner. the curved bottom surface of the pond is to be covered with a layer of clay to limit seepage from the pond. determine the surface are on the clay bottom of the pond

Homework Equations

Length of a curve formula
[tex] ds = \sqrt{1+\left( \frac{dy}{dx} \right)^2 } [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking that if we simply find the length of the curve, then that would yield the surface area of the curve. This gives the following:

[tex] s = \int_{-20}^{20} \sqrt{1 + \frac{x^2}{1600} } dx [/tex]
Which gives an answer of 66.9

The answer however is 1332.2 m^2. This leads me suspect that we must include the fact that this curve is to be rotated around the y axis making a bowl. I am not sure how to rotate this curve though...

Your input is greatly appreciated!

Answers and Replies

Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed

Homework Statement

An industrial settling pond has a parabolic cross section described by the equation [itex] y = \frac{x^2}{80} [/itex]. the pond is 40 m across and 5 m deep at the cetner. the curved bottom surface of the pond is to be covered with a layer of clay to limit seepage from the pond. determine the surface are on the clay bottom of the pond

Homework Equations

I was thinking that if we simply find the length of the curve, then that would yield the surface area of the curve. This gives the following:

The answer however is 1332.2 m^2. This leads me suspect that we must include the fact that this curve is to be rotated around the y axis making a bowl. I am not sure how to rotate this curve though...

What is the formula for the surface area of the surface z = f(x,y)? (Here, my z = your y, and (x,y) are the planar coordinates on the pond's surface.)

STEMucator
Homework Helper
I read the question a few times over and I think I've got it. Plotting ##y = \frac{x^2}{80} - 5## on wolfram gives an accurate model of the problem ( The cross section of the pond which is 5m deep at the center ).

I believe what you would want to use here is :

##2 \pi \int_{c}^{d} x \sqrt{1 + (\frac{dx}{dy})^2} dy## which will be the surface area of your curve when you rotate it about the y axis. The reason you want to rotate it about the y-axis is because you want the surface area of the ENTIRE cross section of the pond.

I got an answer of 1332.18.

Hint : Re-arrange your equation for y. Your limits should be from the bottom of the cross section of the pond to the top.

Last edited:
LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

You almost have it. The ##ds## element is at distance ##x## from the y axis, so the circumference of the circle it traces is ##2\pi x##. You take that times the ##ds## length to get the surface area swept out. So you want $$
\int_0^{20} 2\pi x~ds = \int_0^{20} 2\pi x\sqrt{1 + \frac{x^2}{1600} }~dx$$You only go from ##0## to ##20## in the limits because revolving it gets the "other side".

Last edited:
Thank you very much for all your help. I see now the integrand is the curved surface area of a cylinder where the radius is x and the height is the length of a curve formula