What is the true surface area of the Earth according to General Relativity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of General Relativity and its application to measuring the surface area of Earth. It is mentioned that according to General Relativity, the shortest distance between two points on Earth is along a curved path due to the curvature of spacetime caused by gravity. The idea is then raised that perhaps this curvature can make a large rectangle on Earth appear to be flat, causing an error in calculating the surface area. However, it is clarified that in reality, area is measured using infinitesimally small squares and pretending they are flat, not by measuring large squares and pretending they are flat. The concept of the density parameter is also briefly discussed in relation to this idea.
rohanprabhu
I have a very faint idea of General Relativity.. hence this question. I think that according to General Relativity, the shortest distance between two points on this Earth is along a curved path, which is the curvature of the Earth [or sorta.. parallel to it]. Hence, i assumed that when on earth, we measure an area of the land, and we treat it as a rectangle, we are not making an approximation, but that, in fact is the actual area we calculate on this earth.

so, is it true that if we are to measure the surface area of the Earth while being on the earth, we will measure it to be [itex]4\pi^2 R_e^2[/itex] rather than [itex]4\pi R_e^2[/itex]??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
lol i really did not know dolphins lived in iglooes.. cartman is soo smart..

sorry but becouse of the geological imperfection of our planet neither of your formulas will work.. For one the Earth is not a sphere, its an elliptoid. this means that the circumference around the equator and the circumference around the poles has a difference of thousands of miles. Also if you try to measure it manually using "rectangles" by the time u finish the surface area will be vary different and you have to start over.. someone else can help you with those formulas cause i have no clue what they mean.. ha ha they wernt on my GED test

neh4pres said:
sorry but becouse of the geological imperfection of our planet neither of your formulas will work.. For one the Earth is not a sphere, its an elliptoid. this means that the circumference around the equator and the circumference around the poles has a difference of thousands of miles. Also if you try to measure it manually using "rectangles" by the time u finish the surface area will be vary different and you have to start over..

i know about the geological imperfections and how the Earth is not a sphere but an ellipsoid. The question I asked was a theoretical one, so practical considerations, as you mentioned aren't necessary.

neh4pres said:
i have no clue what they mean.. ha ha they wernt on my GED test

in that case, I suggest that you should stop being a troll...

rohanprabhu said:
I have a very faint idea of General Relativity.. hence this question. I think that according to General Relativity, the shortest distance between two points on this Earth is along a curved path, which is the curvature of the Earth [or sorta.. parallel to it].

Hi rohanprabhu! :smile:

No, General Relativity doesn't do Earth's.

Loosely speaking, the "shortest distance" in General Relativity is the space-time path followed by a body under zero force (so free-falling or orbiting, or just drifting). I think. :rolleyes:
… when on earth, we measure an area of the land, and we treat it as a rectangle …

There's no such thing as a rectangle on a sphere … the sum of the angles of any quadrilateral is always more than 360º.
so, is it true that if we are to measure the surface area of the Earth while being on the earth, we will measure it to be [itex]4\pi^2 R_e^2[/itex] rather than [itex]4\pi R_e^2[/itex]??

I'm not following you … where does the π² come from? :confused:

first of all, thanks for the quick reply.

tiny-tim said:
I'm not following you … where does the π² come from?

From assuming that the sphere is a folded rectangle, where each side is of length [itex]2\pi R_e[/itex] (i.e. the equatorial line and one of the latitudes perpendicular to it can be spread out to form a large rectangle, which is cut into four rectangles by these axis and the intersection of these axis is the center of that rectangle). The surface area of such a rectangle would be [itex]2\pi^2 R_e^2[/itex].

Now I understand. In that case …
rohanprabhu said:
I have a very faint idea of General Relativity.. hence this question. I think that according to General Relativity, the shortest distance between two points on this Earth is along a curved path, which is the curvature of the Earth [or sorta.. parallel to it]. Hence, i assumed that when on earth, we measure an area of the land, and we treat it as a rectangle, we are not making an approximation, but that, in fact is the actual area we calculate on this earth.

No, definitely not, no way.

General Relativity doesn't work like that, not even remotely like that.

Area is measured by using infinitesimally small squares and pretending they're flat, not by measuring large squares and pretending they're flat. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Area is measured by using infinitesimally small squares and pretending they're flat, not by measuring large squares and pretending they're flat. :smile:

ahan.. i get it now. Originally, i wasn't thinking that we measure large squares and pretend that they are flat. What i was thinking was that due to the curvature of the spacetime deformed by the gravity, we have a different geometry local to a mass than a geometry far away from a mass.

Something like what the density parameter defines. For ex:

cited from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_fate_of_the_universe[/color][/size]
If Ω<1, the geometry of space is open, i.e., negatively curved like the surface of a saddle. The angles of a triangle sum to less than 180 degrees, and lines that do not meet are never equidistant; they have a point of least distance and otherwise grow apart. The geometry of the universe is hyperbolic.

This is something I thought would happen locally. I am not saying that the reason would be the same. I am just saying that as the geometry of the Universe could be hyperbolic, I assumed that due to a mass, it changes the local system such as to make the geometry locally spherical and hence all straight lines are basically curves when viewed from an external frame and hence the 'flat' for an internal observer would appear to be curved to an external observer. In short I assumed that the geometry of the universe was relative.

Thanks for clearing that up :D

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the surface area of the earth?

The surface area of the earth is approximately 510.1 million square kilometers.

2. How is the surface area of the earth calculated?

The surface area of the earth is calculated by using the formula for the surface area of a sphere, which is 4πr², where r is the radius of the earth.

3. How does the surface area of the earth compare to other planets?

The surface area of the earth is the fifth largest among the eight planets in our solar system. It is smaller than the surface area of Jupiter, Saturn, Neptune, and Uranus, but larger than the surface area of Mars, Venus, and Mercury.

4. Does the surface area of the earth change over time?

The surface area of the earth does change over time due to natural processes such as erosion and tectonic plate movement. However, these changes are relatively small and the overall surface area remains relatively constant.

5. Why is the surface area of the earth important to study?

The surface area of the earth is important to study because it provides valuable information about the physical characteristics and composition of our planet. It also plays a crucial role in understanding and predicting natural phenomena such as climate change, sea level rise, and land use patterns.