Surface area problem -- Area of the circle enclosed by the current produced by an electron in a hydrogen atom

Anthill
TL;DR Summary
What does the shape that has, in polar coordinates, a given surface area look like?
My textbook says "A is the area of the circle enclosed by the current" (produced by an electron in a hydrogen atom), A = ##\pi r^2 \sin(\theta)^2##. I don't understand where the ##\sin(\theta)^2## comes from.

Answers and Replies

Summary:: What does the shape that has, in polar coordinates, a given surface area look like?

My textbook says "A is the area of the circle enclosed by the current" (produced by an electron in a hydrogen atom), A = ##\pi r^2 \sin(\theta)^2##. I don't understand where the ##\sin(\theta)^2## comes from.
Assuming that the radius of the circle is x, the area would be ##A = \pi x^2##.

Converting to polar coordinates, ##x = r \sin(\theta)##, so ##x^2 = r^2 \sin^2(\theta)##, and the area would be ##\pi r^2\sin^2(\theta)##.
Note that powers of trig functions are usually denoted like this: ##\sin^2(\theta)## rather than this ##\sin(\theta)^2##.

Suggested for: Surface area problem -- Area of the circle enclosed by the current produced by an electron in a hydrogen atom

• Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies