Surface Area Problem: Find Area of Paraboloid Cut by Plane y=25

In summary, the conversation is about finding the area of the finite part of a paraboloid cut off by a plane. The method discussed involves using polar coordinates and integrating the function (1+4r^2) over a specific range of values for r and θ. The person asking for help wonders if they are doing something wrong and also asks about projecting the surface onto the x-z plane.
bodensee9

Homework Statement

I am wondering if someone could help me with the following? I am supposed to find the area of the finite part of the paraboloid y = x^2+z^2 that's cut off by the plane y = 25. Now, wouldn't this be the same as the paraboloid z = x^2+y^2 that's cut off by the plane z = 25?

So, if that's right, then the surface area is ∫∫√((dz/dx)^2+(dz/dy)^2+1).
This seems easier to do in polar coordinates, so we basically have the following:

∫∫(1+4r^2)? And, r would be from 0 to 5, and 0≤θ≤2*pi?

Am I doing something wrong here? Or, how do I "project" the surface unto the x-z plane? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think you are doing something wrong? Well done.

1) What is the formula for finding the surface area of a paraboloid cut by a plane?

The formula for finding the surface area of a paraboloid cut by a plane y=25 is: SA = 2π∫(y)(√(1 + (dy/dx)^2))dx, where y is the equation of the parabola and dy/dx is the derivative of y with respect to x.

2) How do you determine the boundaries for the integral when finding the surface area of a paraboloid cut by a plane?

The boundaries for the integral are determined by the points of intersection between the parabola and the plane y=25. These points can be found by setting the equations of the parabola and the plane equal to each other and solving for the x-values.

3) Can you use the same formula to find the surface area of any paraboloid cut by a plane?

Yes, the same formula can be used to find the surface area of any paraboloid cut by a plane. However, the boundaries for the integral and the equation for the parabola may vary depending on the specific paraboloid and plane being considered.

4) How do you interpret the result of the surface area calculation for a paraboloid cut by a plane?

The result of the surface area calculation represents the total area of the surface of the paraboloid that is above the plane y=25. This can be thought of as the area of a curved "cap" on top of the paraboloid.

5) Are there any practical applications for finding the surface area of a paraboloid cut by a plane?

Yes, there are several practical applications for finding the surface area of a paraboloid cut by a plane. For example, this calculation can be used in engineering and construction to determine the surface area of curved structures such as domes and arches. It can also be used in physics and astronomy to calculate the surface area of curved objects in space.