1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface Area Problem

1. Feb 6, 2007 #1
    I am wondering if someone could help me with the following? I am supposed to find the surface area of the part of the sphere x^2 +y^2+z^2 that lies inside the cylinder x^2+y^2 = ax.

If I wanted to write a parametric equation for the sphere, I would use x = ρsinφcosθ and y = ρsinφcosθ and z = ρcosθ. Let r be the vector function given by xi +yj +zk. So, since the surface area = ∫∫|(dr/dφ) x (dr/dθ)|dφdθ. So if I do that with the following, I have |(dr/dφ) x (dr/dθ)| as a^2*sinφ. So, the surface area should be ∫∫a^2*sinφdφdθ.
    I am trying to figure out the boundaries of integration. I see that the cylinder has the expression r = acosθ. So θ would be between –π/2 and π/2. But I am not sure what φ should be?

Alternately, I tried with cylindrical coordinates. So, I have that for the sphere I would use x = rcosθ, y = rsinθ, and z = a^2 - r^2. And if I let f be the vector function represented by x,y, and z, then df/dr = <cosθ, sinθ, -2r> and df/dθ = <-rsinθ, rcosθ, 0> And so if I take the cross product of the two vectors I would get 2r^2cosθ -2r^2sinθ +r. So |(df/dr)x(df/dθ)| is 4r^4 + r^2. So would the expression be ∫∫√(4r^4+r^2)drdθ where 0≤r≤rcosθ and –π/2≤θ≤π/2? Thanks!!
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2007 #2
    The problem with your assumption about the cylinder formula is that the one in your problem can have its axis somewhere other than a coordinate axis. What if you kept it in rectangular (x,y,z) coordinates?

The condition 0≤r≤rcosθ seems dubious....
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?