1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface Area

1. Mar 16, 2004 #1
    i've been stuck on this problem for an hour now. how do you find the surface area for y=(x)^1/2 when 0_<x_<2, rotating about the x axis?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2004 #2
    You have a nice little formula for this kind of thing.

[tex]SA = \int_{x_i}^{x_f} 2\pi y(x) \sqrt{1 + \Big(\frac{dy}{dx}\Big)^2}\,dx[/tex]

You'll recognize that this is [itex]2\pi y(x)[/itex] times the formula for the arc length. Basically what you're doing is adding up a bunch of little rings of radius y and length an infintesimal piece of the arc length. Because the radius is y, and we know that circumference = [itex]2\pi r[/itex], that's where the [itex]2\pi y(x)[/itex] comes from. The "width" of the ring depends on y and x and can be made into a triangle of base 1 and height dy/dx.

cookiemonster

Last edited: Mar 16, 2004
  4. Mar 16, 2004 #3
    but how do you figure out what the dx part is? that's the part that i don't understand.

5. Mar 16, 2004 #4
    dx? dx is dx. It's necessary to evaluate the integral.

Do you mean dy/dx? You have to integrate y with respect to x to get dy/dx.

cookiemonster

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?