Why are the Two SSA Equations the Same in a Catalytic Cycle?

• Thread starter i_love_science
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary: S]/dt... have to be equal?The forum interprets [S] as command to strike-through the following text. To avoid that you can write [plain][S][/plain], it will be shown as [S]. Or simply add a space: [ S] is ignored by the forum.I fixed the initial post, it should look as intended now.In summary, the text is trying to derive the rate law for the formation of P. It finds that the rate law is d[P]/dt = k[A-S] where k[A-S] is a constant. The two equations are redundant and [S] (and therefore also thetaA) remains unknown.
i_love_science
The following is a basic surface-catalyzed isomerization reaction:
A -> P
This can be modeled by the following mechanism:
A + S -> A-S
A-S -> P + S

The text is trying to derive the rate law for the formation of P.
d[P]/dt = k[A-S]
It can also be written as
d[P]/dt = k'[thetaA], where thetaA is the fraction of sites to which a reactant is bound.

We are trying to find an expression for thetaA, which the text gives as
thetaA = [ A-S ] / [S]+[ A-S ]

Since thetaA contains intermediates, we need to get rid of both [S] and [A-S], by applying the steady-state approximation to both.

d[A-S]/dt = k1[A] - (k2 + k-1)[A-S]
d[S]/dt = -k1[A] + (k2 + k-1)[A-S]

This is the part I don't understand:
Because we have a catalytic cycle, the two halves of the cycle fit together perfectly, and the two SSA equations are the same.

Can anyone explain to me why that is the case? Thank you!

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hi,
i_love_science said:
which the text gives as
thetaA = [ A-S ] / +[ A-S ]
Are you certain this is what the text says ? [ A-S ] / [ S ] seems so much more sensible 🤔 !?

what are k1, k2 and k-1 (or did you mean k-1 ? Makes a difference ! )

the second d/dt : of what ?

The forum interprets [S] as command to strike-through the following text. To avoid that you can write [plain][S][/plain], it will be shown as [S]. Or simply add a space: [ S] is ignored by the forum. I fixed the initial post, it should look as intended now.

BvU said:
Hi,
Are you certain this is what the text says ? [ A-S ] / [ S ] seems so much more sensible 🤔 !?

what are k1, k2 and k-1 (or did you mean k-1 ? Makes a difference ! )

the second d/dt : of what ?

Yes, I meant k-1, k1, and k2. It is d[S]/dt.

I made the edits, could anyone help me out with my question? Thanks!

i_love_science said:
A -> P
A + S -> A-S
A-S -> P + S

This is a Michaelis-Menten kinetics. It is typical for enzyme reactions but it also applies to many other catalytic reactions with a preceding equilibrium.

i_love_science said:
d[P]/dt = k'[thetaA], where thetaA is the fraction of sites to which a reactant is bound.

We are trying to find an expression for thetaA, which the text gives as
thetaA = [ A-S ] / [S]+[ A-S ]

I assume you actually mean thetaA = [ A-S ] / ([S]+[ A-S ])

i_love_science said:
This is the part I don't understand:
Because we have a catalytic cycle, the two halves of the cycle fit together perfectly, and the two SSA equations are the same.

You are right. The two equations are redundant and give you [A-S] only. [S] (and therefore also thetaA) remains unknown.

S is obviously assumed to be present in large access. That justifies the steady state for [S] and turns the first elementary reaction A + S -> A-S into a pseudo-first-order reaction with [S] included into the rate constant k1. But that would mean that [S] is eliminated from the rate equations while it is still present in thetaA. I have no idea how to solve this problem.

I would use the original second-order kinetics instead:

d[A-S]/dt = k’1[A][S] - (k2 + k-1)[A-S] = 0

That results in

[A-S] = k’1[A][S]/ (k2 + k-1)

and

thetaA = [ A-S ] / ([S]+[ A-S ]) = k’1[A]/( k2 + k-1 + k’1[A])

[S] is still hidden in k' but that's not a problem because it is a constant factor as long as it remains stationary. It is rather confusing that k' also includes [A]:

k’ = k·([S] + [A-S]) = k2 [S](1+ k’1[A]/(k2 + k-1))

In the equation d[P]/dt = k'[thetaA] it looks like a constant but it actually isn't.
Maybe the intermediate [A-S] is assumed to be very instable. That would result in

k’1[A]/(k2 + k-1) << 1

and therefore in

k’ ##\approx## k2 [S]

That would also imply

thetaA ##\approx## k’1[A]/(k2 + k-1)

and therefore

d[P]/dt ##\approx## k1k2/(k2 + k-1)[A]

PS: I just realize that k’1[A]/(k2 + k-1) << 1 may also result from very low concentrations of A (and not only from an instable complex [A-S]). However, I'm still not sure how to finish the derivation using the pseudo-first-order kinetics for A + S -> A-S.

Last edited:
DrStupid said:
i_love_science said:
A -> P
A + S -> A-S
A-S -> P + S

You are right. The two equations are redundant and give you [A-S] only. [S] (and therefore also thetaA) remains unknown.

Why do d[A-S]/dt and d[S]/dt turn out to be the same in terms of what is going on in the reaction?

Is the rate d[P]/dt considering both reaction steps? Is [A-S] considered the product and [S] considered the reactant, or vice versa?

Thanks!

i_love_science said:
Why do d[A-S]/dt and d[S]/dt turn out to be the same in terms of what is going on in the reaction?

The reaction rates must be equal and opposite because every S reacts to an A-S and every A-S reacts back to an S. You don’t even need the reactions to see that. It is just stoichiometry. The sum of the free and occupied surface areas remains constant:

[S]0 = [S] + [A-S] = const.

That results in the rates

d[S]0/dt = d[S]/dt + d[A-S]/dt = 0

i_love_science said:
Is the rate d[P]/dt considering both reaction steps?

Yes, it does. The rate equation for P is based on the last reaction step only. However, this equation contains the concentration [A-S] of the intermediate which is formed in the first step. Therefore it depends on the first step too. There is no A-S -> P + S without A + S -> A-S.

i_love_science said:
Is [A-S] considered the product and [S] considered the reactant, or vice versa?

That depends on the reaction steps. A-S is the product of the reaction step A + S -> A-S and the reactant of the reaction steps A-S -> A + S and A-S -> P + S. For S it is the other way around.

Likes i_love_science
Thank you! I understand now.

What is a surface-catalyzed reaction?

A surface-catalyzed reaction is a chemical reaction that takes place on the surface of a solid catalyst. The catalyst provides a surface for the reactants to interact and lowers the activation energy required for the reaction to occur.

How does a surface-catalyzed reaction differ from a homogeneous reaction?

In a surface-catalyzed reaction, the catalyst is in a different phase (solid) than the reactants (gas or liquid). This allows for a higher surface area and more efficient interaction between the reactants and the catalyst. In a homogeneous reaction, the catalyst is in the same phase as the reactants and is evenly distributed throughout the reaction mixture.

What factors influence the rate of a surface-catalyzed reaction?

The rate of a surface-catalyzed reaction is influenced by several factors, including the surface area and porosity of the catalyst, the concentration of reactants, temperature, and the strength of the chemical bonds between the reactants and the catalyst.

What are some examples of surface-catalyzed reactions?

Surface-catalyzed reactions are used in a variety of industrial processes, such as the production of ammonia and the catalytic converter in cars. They also play a crucial role in biological processes, such as photosynthesis and cellular respiration.

What are the advantages of using a surface-catalyzed reaction?

Surface-catalyzed reactions offer several advantages, including increased reaction rates, lower energy requirements, and the ability to control and optimize the reaction conditions. They also allow for the reuse of the catalyst, making them more cost-effective and environmentally friendly compared to other types of reactions.