Surface Charge Concept: Why Charges Move to Outer Surface

In summary, charges of the same sign repel each other and will try to move as far away from each other as possible. In a conductor, charges will always move to the outer surface, even if the inner surface has a larger area. This is because the electric field within a conductor is zero. If the charges were on the inner surface, they would be closer together. This also applies to the potential and electric field, assuming r1 is less than r2. Additionally, charges within a conductor will move in order to create a zero field within the conductor. This is evident because if there was a net field, the charges would move in response to it.
SirBerr
First post,

I know that charges of the same sign repel one another and that will attempt to move as far away from one another as possible. Now, I'm reading my physics textbook and it says charges will always move to the outer surface of a conductor even if the inner surface has a larger area. Think of a hollow sphere that has a pitted inner surface to give it more surface area than the outer.

Now why is this? My best guess is that because the electric field in a conductor is zero? What obvious thing am I missing here?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well if the charges were on the inside surface of a conductor, then they would be closer together wouldn't they?

It becomes clear if you consider how the inner surface area could possibly be bigger than the outer surface area.

The logic however is not very convincing. Think in terms of potential and Electric field (and obviously using r1<r2)

That makes slightly more sense now. I didn't consider the fields acorss the inner surface rather just the immediate surface around the charges. Not the clearest thing in the world but it makes a little bit more sense.

In addition, charges within a conductor will also move so as to create a zero field, a static condition, within the conductor...you can tell this happens because if their were a net field then the charges would move in reaction to it.

1. What is the surface charge concept?

The surface charge concept is the principle that charges will move to the outer surface of an object or material when placed in an electric field. This is due to the repulsion of like charges and attraction of opposite charges.

2. Why do charges move to the outer surface?

Charges move to the outer surface because of the principle of electrostatic equilibrium. In this state, the net charge on the surface of an object is zero, so charges will redistribute themselves in order to achieve this balance.

3. How does the surface charge affect the behavior of an object?

The surface charge affects the behavior of an object by influencing its interaction with other charged objects or electric fields. The distribution of charges on the surface can also impact the electric potential and electric field around the object.

4. What factors can affect surface charge distribution?

The surface charge distribution can be affected by the shape and size of an object, the material it is made of, and the presence of other nearby charged objects or electric fields.

5. Can the surface charge concept be applied to all materials?

Yes, the surface charge concept can be applied to all materials, regardless of their conductivity. However, the degree to which charges can move to the outer surface may vary depending on the material's properties.