1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface charge density on conducting cone with point charge inside

1. Feb 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the surface charge density on a thin insulated and uncharged cone, which has a point charge inside of it on the cone axis. Furthermore, calculate the force between the point charge and the cone.

2. Relevant equations
    The relevant equation is the Poisson equation
    [tex]\nabla^2 \phi = \delta(\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r_0})[/tex]
    I'm not so sure about the appropriate boundary conditions although three things are certain:
    1. The potential on the cone's surface is uniform (since the surface is conducting):
    [tex]\phi|_{surface} = \phi_0[/tex]
    2. The tangential component of the electrical field on the surface is zero
    3. Since the cone was uncharged in the beginning, the total charge on the surface must remain zero:
    [tex]\oint_S \rho dS = 0[/tex]
    Since the Poisson equation is not separable in a way that the coordinate surfaces would coincide with the surfaces of the cone and since the method of images works only with plane or spherical surfaces, I presume this is a numerical problem.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I see no other solution than numerical computing of the poisson equation via the finite element method.
    [tex]\Delta f(x,y) \approx \frac{f(x-h,y) + f(x+h,y) + f(x,y-h) + f(x,y+h) - 4f(x,y)}{h^2}[/tex]

I can imagine computing the potential inside the cone this way but I have two problems:
    1. What are the correct boundary conditions for the potential?
    2. How should I obtain the surface charge distribution from the numerical data of the potential?

Thank you

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted