1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface charge density

1. May 22, 2006 #1
    I still dont understand from the msg given... another explanation any1

Hey I have two questions... the first one I did I got wrong but am really unsure why... I used sigma=Q/A but didnt get the right answer...
    I got that the answer was 1.3277E7 but I am so far off it aint funny!
    Please could someone help!
    The answer is meant to be 117.5! I dunno tho!

Consider a cell whose cell membrane is 4.7 nm thick and whose resting potential is 62.4 mV. What is the approximate surface charge density (in µ C/m2) on the outside wall of the cell?

Also this question also has me stumped!
    Consider the helium atom which consists of two electrons orbiting a nucleus made up of two protons and two neutrons. If both electrons are at a distance of r = 4.5 × 10-11 m away from the nucleus, as in figure, what is the potential energy (in eV) of the helium atom? Treat the nucleus as pointlike. - Give answer to 4 significant figures.

I thought you'd just find the energies of the electron on the helium atom which I got was 1.024E-17 and add them but obviously you dont so if anyone knows wat to do I would be much appreciative, I really just needa know how to do it... or even just a general start!
    Last edited: May 22, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2006 #2
    um yeah its cool now... for the first question... I just forgot to times it by 8.85E-12... so if anyone knows wat I am doing wrong for the second one... the help would be great
  4. May 22, 2006 #3

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Start with a nucleus of +2e and no electrons. Move an electron from infinity to r = 4.5x10-11 m away from the nucleus. Now you have an atom of +e. Move another electron from infinity to r. The work done in moving both electrons is the potential energy of the two electrons.

5. May 22, 2006 #4
    I dont understand how that really helps... I know that, but still dont understand where I am goin wrong... could someone help me understand... this is wat I did!
    P.E=kqq'/r and then added up wat I got... except I just cant get the right answer???
    so does this mean I use the force of a charge and times it by the distance.. your explanation I mean.... but that still doesnt work... The answer is meant to be 112 but I cant get that no matter how hard I try
  6. May 23, 2006 #5

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I get:

[tex]PE_1/e = k2e/r = 8.989e9*2*(1.602e-19)/(4.500e-11) = 64.00 eV[/tex]

[tex]PE_2/e = ke/r = 8.989e9*(1.602e-19)/(4.500e-11) = 32.00 eV[/tex]

So the total potential energy is 96.00 eV.

This is a simplified view of it since it assumes that the electron charge is concentrated at the centre. But it should be very close.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?