1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface charge density

1. Jul 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A surface is defined by a hemisphere of radius b, centered on the x-y plane. The surface charged density is given by [tex]\rho_s(z) = z (\frac{Coul}{m^3})[/tex].

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\rho_s(z) = z = Rcos(\theta) = bcos(\theta) (\frac{Coul}{m^3})[/tex].

3. Question
    My question is how can the surface charge density equal to [tex]Rcos(\theta) = bcos(\theta)[/tex]? That is a measure of the distance from the origin to the surface [element], and thus only [to my knowledge] have units of radius b, or meters [tex]\neq (\frac{Coul}{m^3})[/tex].

Thanks,

JL

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2009 #2

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

z has no units, it's just a coordinate in the coordinate system, and what they are saying is that the charge density at points with coordinates (x,y,z) is equal to z C/m2. (You wrote C/m3 which I'm assuming is a typo since we're talking about a surface, not a 3D region.)

4. Jul 13, 2009 #3
    Sorry about the typo. But what about the variable b which has units of meters? How does that fit into the interpretation of surface charges?

Thank you.

5. Jul 13, 2009 #4

turin

Homework Helper

No typo. One unit of length in z cancels one unit of length in the denom. of C/m^3.

This is misleading (i.e. wrong). The first inequality should be confusing. I would suggest:
    [tex]
    \rho_s(z)=\rho_0z\rightarrow{}\rho_0Rcos(\theta)=bcos(\theta) (C/m^3)
    [/tex]
    where [itex]\rho_0[/itex] is some unknown constant that has units of charge-per-volume and R and b have units of length.
    Or, better yet,
    [tex]
    \rho_s(z)\rightarrow\rho_0cos(\theta)
    [/tex]
    where [itex]\rho_0[/itex] is some unknown constant with units of C/m^2.

6. Jul 13, 2009 #5
    That makes much more sense, thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook