1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface charge density

1. Mar 1, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Electric current of I amperes flows along the z-axis from (0, 0,-∞) to (0, 0, -a) and from there it spreads over a conducting sphere r = a in the -aθ direction, comes to the point (0; 0; a) and goes to (0, 0, ∞) again along the z-axis. What is the surface current density at a general point on the sphere where z = h?

2. Relevant equations

surface current density = Js = Δi / Δl ; l = length , i = current

3. The attempt at a solution

I am pretty lost with this one. If I use the above equation for surface current density it seems like I need to do this

∫ i / L dl = ∫ i / z dz from z = -a to a

I know this isn't the answer. Its to simple and my professor would never assign something as simple as this. I think I have some conceptual issues and I fear that my relevant equation is incorrect. I had to miss lecture due to a trip to the ER and I am relying on a friends notes, nice guy but less than exemplary student.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2016 #2
    I have a new thought. I looked up surface current density and found that the units are A / m^2. if this is true then this boils down to current per area.

So, could I say (and be correct) that the current I will be uniformly distributed and constant. Then to write a general expression for current density is it just
    Js = i / (4 pi h^2).

This still seems too easy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted