How Does Surface Area Affect the Free Energy of a Liquid?

In summary, the speaker is discussing a problem from their physical chemistry class and is unsure where to seek help. They are specifically struggling with question b) and are not looking for the exact answer, but rather guidance on how to solve it. They have consulted books such as Atkins and Levine but are still unsure how to answer the question about the variation of free energy of a liquid with surface area.
CatalinaAlmendra
Homework Statement
Benzene at a temperature of 20 ° C has a surface tension of 28.9 x10-3 N / m and a density of 879 kg / m3.
a) If we immerse a 0.1 mm diameter capillary tube in it, how high will the liquid rise?
b) If a mass of 100 g is dispersed into drops of radius 1.0 mm, what will be the variation in the Helmholtz function and what is the minimum amount of work necessary to cause the dispersion?
Relevant Equations
Helmholtz free energy: A=U-TS
Hello, so first of all I want to clarify that english is not my first lenguage, so I'm really sorry for possible future errors. Second, this is a problem from my physical chemistry class, and I'm not sure where it fits better, if here or in the physics homework help, I'm sorry :(
So, I don't have any problem with question letter a), but letter b) it's another story, I'm not really looking for someone giving the exact answer, just guideness on how to solve the problem. I've been searching in books as Atkins and Levine, and yet I don't know how to answer the question

Physics news on Phys.org
How does the free energy of the liquid vary with surface area?

1. What is surface chemistry?

Surface chemistry is a branch of chemistry that deals with the study of chemical reactions that occur at the interface of two phases, such as solid-liquid, solid-gas, or liquid-gas. It involves the study of surface properties, adsorption, and surface reactions.

2. What are some real-world applications of surface chemistry?

Surface chemistry has numerous practical applications, including catalysis, corrosion prevention, drug delivery, water purification, and production of electronic devices. It is also important in industries such as food and beverage, cosmetics, and pharmaceuticals.

3. What are the main factors that influence surface chemistry?

The main factors that influence surface chemistry include temperature, pressure, pH, surface area, and the nature of the substances involved. Surface chemistry can also be affected by external factors such as light, electric fields, and magnetic fields.

4. How does surface chemistry play a role in environmental issues?

Surface chemistry is closely related to environmental issues such as air and water pollution. For example, it is involved in the process of removing pollutants from water through adsorption onto surfaces. It also plays a role in the formation and breakdown of ozone in the atmosphere.

5. What are some common challenges in studying surface chemistry?

One of the main challenges in studying surface chemistry is the complexity of surface reactions and the difficulty in accurately measuring and controlling surface properties. Another challenge is the lack of understanding of the mechanisms behind surface reactions, which makes it difficult to predict and control them.