Understanding Circumstellar Disks: Exploring Surface Density in 3D

In summary: This clarified things for me!In summary, the surface density of a circumstellar disk is the mass of gas contained within a certain area.
robotopia
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to understand circumstellar disks. One term that keeps cropping up in this context is "surface density". The disks, though flattened, are still three-dimensional, so I'm confused about what "surface density" actually means. I can think of a couple of possibilities:
  1. The hypothetical surface density of the projection of the disk onto its mean plane
  2. The surface density of its cross section taken at some distance R from the star
Try as I might, I can't seem to find a clear-cut definition for it.

Cheers

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I'm tending to think that #1 is correct, and that it's synonymous with "column density". Can anyone confirm?

I was hoping someone more familiar than my self would have responded to this question.

As far as the 2 definitions go they both mean approximately the same thing one good example is the surface density of say an asteroid belt any value to describe the surface density of one region to another region in the case of the first definition it would have to be hypothetical as indeed there is no surface, so in essence its a conveneient descriptive. number 2 is essentially the same thing as you are allowing for surface density of non flat shapes such as heliosphere or circumstellar habitable zone. Thats about the only differents I can see between the two, hope that helps. As I stated I was hoping someone more familiar with circumstellar disk terminology would have assisted you

Thanks Mordred. Not a popular question to answer, it seems... :-)

might help if you provide some references so myself or others can better grasp where you see surface density applied. The term is used in a variety of interstellar models.

I had always thought is was definition 1, i.e. if you take all the mass of the disc, and divide it by the 2D surface area of one of its faces, then you get [itex]\Sigma[/itex]. I have to admit to not being absolutely sure.

EDIT: Column density (of an object, e.g. molecular cloud in the ISM) is a little different. If you add up the mass of all the gas in a 1 m2 cylindrical tube going along the line of sight from the observer to the object (presumably out to as far as you can see, so about optical depth of 1), that number (divided by the 1 m2) is the column density of that object in that area. So it is sort of a surface density of all the gas that lies along the line of sight of the observer as projected onto the plane of the sky.

Last edited:
Mordred said:
might help if you provide some references so myself or others can better grasp where you see surface density applied. The term is used in a variety of interstellar models.
Quite right, Mordred. I just stumbled on this paper which, though it is talking about surface density profiles, confirms what cepheid says:
It is then a trivial task to sum the masses of the particles in each [radial] bin and divide by the area of the annulus represented to obtain a surface density (Hall 1997).
Summing masses between r1 and r2 and dividing by annulus area is the same as integrating mass density over the z (axis of rotation) direction, right? Or is it subtly different because summing masses between r1 and r2 means summing the masses between two spherical shells whereas integrating ρ(r) over z is more like summing the masses between two cylindrical shells? Granted, for a thin disk the difference is negligible.

Thanks everyone, for your input.

1. What are circumstellar disks?

Circumstellar disks are flat, rotating disks of gas and dust that surround young stars. They form during the star formation process and can last for millions of years.

2. Why is it important to understand circumstellar disks?

Understanding circumstellar disks is crucial for understanding the formation and evolution of planets and planetary systems. These disks provide the building blocks for planets and can also affect their orbital and physical characteristics.

3. How do scientists explore surface density in 3D?

Scientists use a variety of techniques to explore the surface density of circumstellar disks in 3D. These include radio and infrared observations, computer simulations, and mathematical modeling.

4. What factors can affect the surface density of circumstellar disks?

The surface density of circumstellar disks can be influenced by a variety of factors, including the mass and age of the star, the composition of the disk material, and the presence of any planets or other objects within the disk.

5. What can we learn from studying circumstellar disks in 3D?

By studying circumstellar disks in 3D, scientists can gain a better understanding of the physical processes that shape these disks and the planets that form within them. This knowledge can also provide insights into the formation and evolution of our own solar system.