1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface Energy

1. Dec 13, 2008 #1
    I checked Wiki and ran a forum search, yet I am in need of an explanation of "Surface Energy" that works for me.

I'm clueless on the concept...

(btw, just joined physics forums today, seems like a really cool community here...)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2008 #2
    Surface energy is the additional energy per unit surface area for a system of atoms with a surface.

Imagine that you have a perfect FCC crystal of 3 × 3 × 3 unit cells with periodic boundary conditions in all 3 directions. This means that it is effectively an infinite perfect crystal. Let's call this system A.

Then you have the same 3 × 3 × 3 unit cells but with periodic boundary conditions in 2 directions. Effectively, this is a thin film with a perfect crystal, and you have two surfaces. Let's call this system B.

Clearly system B will have higher energy because of the surface.

Surface Energy = (Energy of B - Energy of A)/(Total Surface Area).

You can have surface with different crystal orientations, eg (100) or (111) and the surface energy will be different.

4. Dec 18, 2008 #3
    total surface area of the unit cell ?! or ...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?