Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface Friction and Energy Modeling

1. Feb 5, 2015 #1
    Hi,

I am a student interested in wetting and super-hydrophobic surfaces. I am very new to this field and am a software engineer, and as such do not have strong mechanical or chemical background. I am trying to model contact angle and surface energy for super-hydrophobic surfaces. However my approach is a bit unconventional, I am trying to develop a system for using height-maps from SEM images and am trying to relate contact angle and surface energy to actual features on the microscopic landscape. I am a bit confused as to what the exact relationship is and am have difficulty finding peer-review resources related to this matter. Specifically regarding modeling the contact angle and surface energy from specific features on the surface.

PS: Are 3D extrapolations useful for microscopic and nano-scale images used in any ongoing research?

Regards,

Raazi

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook