Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface function for a circle tilted with an angle and then rotating around z axis

1. Nov 14, 2014 #1
    My first idea is this will result in a elliptic torus. The horizontal semi-axis a=R and the vertical semi-axis b=R*cos(beta). assuming the titled or inclined angle is beta. The distance away from the z-axisis c and it is a constant. But it looks not when I plot the surface in 3D using the elliptic equation given on wolfram elliptic.

The green dot points are generated by rotating the red line around the z axis and then plot the corresponding circle in 3D space.

The surface I created using the torus equation is somehow like the bottom one:

untitled.png untitled2.png

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2014 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook