1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface impedance in porous rigid materials!

1. May 29, 2017 #1
    Hi guys,

I've got an exam in a few days and my lecturer is unresponsive, so wondering if you can help me. The question I am solving is the following:

Calculate the impedance at the surface of a layer of spruce wood of thickness d equal to 2mm, and of density rho equal to 0.47 Mg/m3 at 1000Hz. Assume the porosity of wood is 0.4 and the bulk modulus of the wood is 1.5GPa.

(Hint: first calculate the wave number by using k=w*sqrt(rho/K), secondly calculate the characteristic impedace using Zc= sqrt(K*rho), then calculate the surface impedance using Z(M)=-j*(Zc/porosity)*cot(kd))

Am I supposed to convert the K=1.5GPa to Pa? My lecture notes say to use GPa in the Zc formula, but I don't know if it's right.

If I use 1.5GPa=1500000000Pa, then I get Zc= 839642.7812 and Z(M) comes to -298418017.3j

If my impedance values are correct, what units are they in? And how could Z(M) be a negative value?

Thanks in advance for any help! X

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2017 #2
    Thanks for the thread! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post? The more details the better.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted