1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface in capacitor equation

1. Apr 10, 2014 #1
    Hello
    i want to calculate the capacitance of a two-surface parallel capacitor with famous equation
    gif.latex?C%3D%5Cfrac%7B%5Csigma%20S%7D%7Bd%7D.gif
    as you see the attachment (question 28) writer divided the depth size by 3. but if we know the surfaces of the capacitor are rectangular such as this picture
    9404803200_1397156832.jpg
    and each surface of capacitor has depth=15cm and width=20cm
    so S=.15*.20=.03
    but why the writer divided the depth size by 3(15/3)?because their depth are same and width should be changed via the figure.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

• ch6.pdf
      ch6.pdf
      File size:
      237 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2014 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I can't interpret the diagram, either in the post or in the attachment. Please post the original question.

4. Apr 11, 2014 #3
    Hello
    question is:
    find the capacitance of parallel surface that different dielectrics are between two surface.
    distance between surface:2mm
    depth of surface:15cm
    width:20cm

my question is : when we want to define the S in gif.latex?C%3D%5Cfrac%7B%5Csigma%20S%7D%7Bd%7D.gif (area) why the writer divide depth by 3?
    because depth for each is same and width is different so S=.15*.2 is correct.doesn't it?

5. Apr 11, 2014 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The three parts are filled with different dielectrics. See the pdf file.

ehild

6. Apr 11, 2014 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Still not sure I understand the original question - terms like depth and width are not well-defined. But certainly the working in attachment does not look like a reasonable interpretation.
    The question as posted just above I interpret as: There are three capacitors in parallel. Each has a thickness 2mm and a surface of 20x15 cm.
    The diagram in the attachment fits with that.
    The working in the attachment treats the capacitors as being 20cm thick and an area of 5cmx2mm (which is a bizarre shape for a capacitor). With that interpretation of its own diagram, that would put them in series, not in parallel.
    You can safely ignore the working in the attachment.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted