How do I evaluate a surface integral with parametric equations?

In summary, the problem is to evaluate the double integral of yz dS, where S is the surface with parametric equations x=(u^2), y=usinv, z=ucosv, 0<u<1, 0<v<(pi/2). The solution method involves finding the normal vector by taking the cross product of r_u and r_v, which results in 5u^2. The double integral is then solved using the given limits, but there is an error in the calculation of the normal vector. The correct answer is not pi/12 as previously calculated.
fk378

Homework Statement

Evaluate the double integral of yz dS. S is the surface with parametric equations x=(u^2), y=usinv, z=ucosv, 0<u<1, 0<v<(pi/2)

(all the "less than" signs signify "less than or equal to" here)

Homework Equations

double integral of dot product of (F) and normal vector over the domain

The Attempt at a Solution

When I solved for the normal vector, I crossed r_u X r_v and got 5u^4.

Then I solved the double integral of (u^4)sinvcosv(5u^4) dudv. u is from 0-->1 and v is from 0-->pi/2

My final answer came out to be pi/12, but it's wrong. Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
fk378 said:
When I solved for the normal vector, I crossed r_u X r_v and got 5u^4.
I didn't get 5u^4.

Can I point out that you don't have an F vector? yz is a scalar.

I think he miswrote it. It was probably a scalar surface integral.

Recalculate [itex]|\vec{r}_u\times \vec{r}_v|[/itex] it is not 5u4. I think you have a "u4" at one point where you should have a "u2".

What is a surface integral?

A surface integral is a type of integral that is used to calculate the total value of a function over a two-dimensional surface. It is often used in physics and engineering to calculate quantities such as flux and electric fields.

How is a surface integral evaluated?

A surface integral is evaluated by first defining a parametrization of the surface, which describes how the surface coordinates are related to the variables of the integral. The surface is then divided into small pieces, and the integral is calculated by summing up the contributions of each piece.

What is the difference between a single and double surface integral?

A single surface integral is used to calculate a quantity over a single surface, while a double surface integral is used to calculate a quantity over a region bounded by two surfaces. In other words, a single surface integral is a special case of a double surface integral.

What are some real-world applications of surface integral evaluation?

Surface integral evaluation has many practical applications, such as calculating the flow of fluids over a surface, determining the mass and center of mass of a thin plate, and calculating the amount of heat transfer in a heat exchanger.

What are some techniques for simplifying surface integral evaluation?

There are several techniques that can make surface integral evaluation easier, such as using symmetry to reduce the number of variables in the integral, choosing a convenient parametrization, and using specialized formulas for common surfaces such as spheres and cylinders. Additionally, using software or numerical methods can also simplify the evaluation process.