Surface Integral Help: Area of Sphere Inside Paraboloid (No Quotation Marks)

In summary, the problem involves finding the area of the portion of a sphere inside a paraboloid using the equation \int\int_{S} dS=\int\int_{R}\sqrt{f^{2}_{x}+f^{2}_{y}+1}dx dy, where R is the projection of the surface on the xy plane. The attempted solution involved solving for the bounds algebraically and using a diagram to aid in solving the equations. Further assistance is needed to complete the problem.
Johnny Blade

Homework Statement

What is the area of the portion of the sphere [tex]x^{2}+y^{2}+(z-a)^{2}=a^{2}[/tex] that is inside the paraboloid [tex]z=x^{2}+y^{2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\int\int_{S} dS[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I used this

[tex]\int\int_{S} dS=\int\int_{R}\sqrt{f^{2}_{x}+f^{2}_{y}+1}dx dy[/tex]

And got

[tex]=\int\int_{R}\frac{a}{\sqrt{a^{2}-x^{2}-y^{2}}}dx dy[/tex]

I know that R is the projection of the surface on the xy plane, but I tried a few different ways to compute the boundaries but it never made sense. Maybe I'm just approaching it the wrong way. Anyone can help me with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you please show us what you tried? Did you try solving for the bounds algebraically? Draw a diagram to aid you, and solve the equations simultaneously.

1. What is a surface integral?

A surface integral is a type of integral used to find the area of a curved surface in three-dimensional space. It involves calculating the sum of infinitesimal elements of the surface, and is often used in physics, engineering, and mathematics.

2. What is the formula for the area of a sphere inside a paraboloid?

The formula for the area of a sphere inside a paraboloid is given by: A = ∫∫√(1 + (dz/dx)^2 + (dz/dy)^2) dA, where dA represents the infinitesimal element of the surface and dz/dx and dz/dy represent the partial derivatives of the paraboloid function.

3. How is a surface integral different from a regular integral?

A surface integral is different from a regular integral in that it is used to calculate the area of a curved surface, rather than the area under a curve. It also involves integrating over a two-dimensional surface, whereas a regular integral involves integrating over a one-dimensional interval.

4. What are some real-world applications of surface integrals?

Surface integrals have many real-world applications, including calculating the area of a curved roof or curved walls in architecture, finding the flux of a vector field through a surface in physics, and determining the surface area of a brain or other organ in medical imaging.

5. How can I use technology to help me solve a surface integral?

There are many online calculators and software programs that can help you solve surface integrals. Additionally, many graphing calculators have built-in functions for calculating surface integrals. It is important to understand the concept and formula behind surface integrals before relying on technology to solve them.