What is the surface integral of a cone in polar coordinates?

In summary, the problem is asking for the integral of g(x,y,z) = z^2 over the surface of the cone z = √(x^2+y^2) between the planes z = 1 and z = 3. To solve this, we can convert to polar coordinates and integrate over the region R. The final answer should not contain any z terms, as z is dependent on x and y.
XcKyle93

Homework Statement

g(x,y,z) = z2; Ʃ is the part of the cone z = [itex]\sqrt{x2+y2}[/itex] between the planes z = 1 and z = 3.

Homework Equations

Conversion to polar coordinates
∫∫Ʃg(x,y,z)dS = ∫∫Rg(x,y,f(x,y)) [itex]\sqrt{fx2 + fy2+1}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

If we're talking in terms of r and θ, r goes from 1 to 3 and θ goes from 0 to 2π. I converted to polar coordinates from cartesian and I got 8*π*√2 *z2. If you were converting to polar/cylindrical coordinates, z2 wouldn't change, correct?

Sorry, for some reason the square root LaTeX command didn't want to work...

Physics news on Phys.org
XcKyle93 said:

Homework Statement

g(x,y,z) = z2; Ʃ is the part of the cone z = [itex]\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/itex] between the planes z = 1 and z = 3.

Homework Equations

Conversion to polar coordinates
∫∫Ʃg(x,y,z)dS = ∫∫Rg(x,y,f(x,y)) [itex]\sqrt{f^2_x + f^2_y+1}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

If we're talking in terms of r and θ, r goes from 1 to 3 and θ goes from 0 to 2π. I converted to polar coordinates from cartesian and I got 8*π*√2 *z2. If you were converting to polar/cylindrical coordinates, z2 wouldn't change, correct?

Sorry, for some reason the square root LaTeX command didn't want to work...

Don't use the subscript and superscript buttons in a tex expression use f_x for subscripts and f^2 for superscripts in tex as I have done for you.

You shouldn't have any z in your answer; it should be a number. Of course z depends on x and y or r and θ because on the surface [itex]z=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/itex].

1. What is a surface integral of a cone?

A surface integral of a cone is a mathematical concept that calculates the total surface area of a cone-shaped object. It takes into account the curved surface of the cone as well as the circular base.

2. How is the surface integral of a cone calculated?

The surface integral of a cone is calculated using the formula S = πr√(r^2 + h^2), where S is the surface area, r is the radius of the base, and h is the height of the cone.

3. What is the significance of the surface integral of a cone?

The surface integral of a cone is important in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics and fluid mechanics. It allows for the calculation of important properties of cone-shaped objects, such as their volume and surface area.

4. Can the surface integral of a cone be used for other shapes?

No, the formula for the surface integral of a cone is specific to cone-shaped objects and cannot be applied to other shapes.

5. How is the surface integral of a cone related to other mathematical concepts?

The surface integral of a cone is related to other mathematical concepts such as integration, geometry, and trigonometry. It involves the use of these concepts to calculate the total surface area of a cone.