1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface integral of sphere

1. Jan 13, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    find the values of the integral

[itex] \int_{S} \vec A\cdot\ d\vec a [/itex]

where,

[itex] \vec A\ = (x^2+y^2+z^2)(x\hat e_{1}+y\hat e_{2}+z\hat e_{3}) [/itex]

and the surface S is defined by the sphere [itex] R^2=x^2+y^2+z^2 [/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    first i must evaluate the integral directly, so i don't think there are any specific formulas other than ones you must derive from the geometry specific to the problem. i also have to calculate using gauss' theorem but for that there's a simple equation.

3. The attempt at a solution
    really looking for an explanation on surface integrals. i know that [itex] d\vec a [/itex] is a small area on the surface of the sphere and equations must be derived from the geometry. im having a hard time visualizing this and how it's suppose to work. for now, i would appreciate a good explanation of surface integrals to help me visualize the problem.

thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

##d\vec a## is the area element, which is an infinitesimal area multiplied by the unit normal of the surface. Try to answer the following: What is the unit normal of the sphere? What is the product of ##\vec A## with ##d\vec a##? How can you simplify the integrand using this?

4. Jan 13, 2015 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Pizza, welcome to PF :)

You familiar with spherical coordinates ? Reason I ask is because after all this is all happening on a sphere. Can you transform ##\vec A(x, y, z)## to ##\vec A(r,\theta, \phi)## ?

[edit] Well, I see you got some good help already. Bedtime for me!

5. Jan 13, 2015 #4
    [itex] d\vec a [/itex] is perpendicular to the surface of the area (2 possible directions).

6. Jan 13, 2015 #5

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, this is what I said, but which vector is perpendicular to the sphere surface at a given point on the sphere?

7. Jan 13, 2015 #6
    I think Orodruin is asking "which spherical coordinate system unit vector is perpendicular to the sphere surface at a given point on the sphere?"

What is your physical interpretation of the vector A at the surface of the sphere? In what direction is it pointing at each point over the surface?

Chet

8. Jan 13, 2015 #7
    [itex] \hat r [/itex] is the answer i believe you may be looking for. im not quite sure how to physically interpret [itex] \vec A [/itex]. i just know that it's some vector along the surface of the sphere. sorry if im making this difficult.

9. Jan 13, 2015 #8

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Correct, so ##d\vec a = \hat r\, da## where da is the infinitesimal area. Now, can you write ##\vec A## in terms of the position vector ##\vec r##?

10. Jan 13, 2015 #9
    [itex] \vec A = (x, y, z) \vec r [/itex] which i believe is equal to[itex] (x \hat e_{1} + y\hat e_{2} + z\hat e_{3}) [/itex] which is the second half of [itex] \vec A [/itex] mentioned in the problem

11. Jan 13, 2015 #10
    What is your understanding of what (x2+y2+z2) represents at the surface of a sphere of radius r?

Chet

12. Jan 14, 2015 #11

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This [itex] \vec A = (x, y, z) \vec r [/itex] can't be right: what can possibly its components (if existent) ?

Dear dude, I am starting to worry if you understand how ## (x \hat e_{1} + y\hat e_{2} + z\hat e_{3} )## is to be interpreted. Can you express it in Cartesian coordinates ? And in Spherical coordinates ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted