Understanding Vector Fields on a Sphere

In summary, we are trying to find the values of the integral \int_{S} \vec A\cdot\ d\vec a where \vec A\ = (x^2+y^2+z^2)(x\hat e_{1}+y\hat e_{2}+z\hat e_{3}) and the surface S is defined by the sphere R^2=x^2+y^2+z^2. The unit normal to the surface of the sphere is given by \hat r. By expressing \vec A in terms of the position vector \vec r, we can simplify the integrand to (\vec r \cdot \hat r)(r^2). We can then use the definition
pizza_dude

Homework Statement

find the values of the integral

[itex] \int_{S} \vec A\cdot\ d\vec a [/itex]

where,

[itex] \vec A\ = (x^2+y^2+z^2)(x\hat e_{1}+y\hat e_{2}+z\hat e_{3}) [/itex]

and the surface S is defined by the sphere [itex] R^2=x^2+y^2+z^2 [/itex]

Homework Equations

first i must evaluate the integral directly, so i don't think there are any specific formulas other than ones you must derive from the geometry specific to the problem. i also have to calculate using gauss' theorem but for that there's a simple equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

really looking for an explanation on surface integrals. i know that [itex] d\vec a [/itex] is a small area on the surface of the sphere and equations must be derived from the geometry. I am having a hard time visualizing this and how it's suppose to work. for now, i would appreciate a good explanation of surface integrals to help me visualize the problem.

thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
##d\vec a## is the area element, which is an infinitesimal area multiplied by the unit normal of the surface. Try to answer the following: What is the unit normal of the sphere? What is the product of ##\vec A## with ##d\vec a##? How can you simplify the integrand using this?

Hello Pizza, welcome to PF :)

You familiar with spherical coordinates ? Reason I ask is because after all this is all happening on a sphere. Can you transform ##\vec A(x, y, z)## to ##\vec A(r,\theta, \phi)## ?

[edit] Well, I see you got some good help already. Bedtime for me!

[itex] d\vec a [/itex] is perpendicular to the surface of the area (2 possible directions).

pizza_dude said:
[itex] d\vec a [/itex] is perpendicular to the surface of the area (2 possible directions).

Yes, this is what I said, but which vector is perpendicular to the sphere surface at a given point on the sphere?

I think Orodruin is asking "which spherical coordinate system unit vector is perpendicular to the sphere surface at a given point on the sphere?"

What is your physical interpretation of the vector A at the surface of the sphere? In what direction is it pointing at each point over the surface?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
I think Orodruin is asking "which spherical coordinate system unit vector is perpendicular to the sphere surface at a given point on the sphere?"

What is your physical interpretation of the vector A at the surface of the sphere? In what direction is it pointing at each point over the surface?

Chet
[itex] \hat r [/itex] is the answer i believe you may be looking for. I am not quite sure how to physically interpret [itex] \vec A [/itex]. i just know that it's some vector along the surface of the sphere. sorry if I am making this difficult.

pizza_dude said:
[itex] \hat r [/itex] is the answer i believe you may be looking for. I am not quite sure how to physically interpret [itex] \vec A [/itex]. i just know that it's some vector along the surface of the sphere. sorry if I am making this difficult.

Correct, so ##d\vec a = \hat r\, da## where da is the infinitesimal area. Now, can you write ##\vec A## in terms of the position vector ##\vec r##?

[itex] \vec A = (x, y, z) \vec r [/itex] which i believe is equal to[itex] (x \hat e_{1} + y\hat e_{2} + z\hat e_{3}) [/itex] which is the second half of [itex] \vec A [/itex] mentioned in the problem

What is your understanding of what (x2+y2+z2) represents at the surface of a sphere of radius r?

Chet

pizza_dude said:
[itex] \vec A = (x, y, z) \vec r [/itex] which i believe is equal to[itex] (x \hat e_{1} + y\hat e_{2} + z\hat e_{3}) [/itex] which is the second half of [itex] \vec A [/itex] mentioned in the problem
This [itex] \vec A = (x, y, z) \vec r [/itex] can't be right: what can possibly its components (if existent) ?

Dear dude, I am starting to worry if you understand how ## (x \hat e_{1} + y\hat e_{2} + z\hat e_{3} )## is to be interpreted. Can you express it in Cartesian coordinates ? And in Spherical coordinates ?

What is the surface integral of a sphere?

The surface integral of a sphere is a mathematical tool used to calculate the total surface area of a sphere. It involves integrating a function over the surface of the sphere, which can provide valuable information about physical quantities such as electric charge, heat, and mass distribution.

How is the surface integral of a sphere calculated?

The surface integral of a sphere is typically calculated using the formula ∫∫f(x,y,z) dS = ∫∫f(x,y,z) ||r_u x r_v|| dA, where f(x,y,z) is the function being integrated, r_u and r_v are tangent vectors to the surface, and ||r_u x r_v|| is the magnitude of their cross product. This formula can be derived using the concept of surface area as a limit of small flat patches on the surface of the sphere.

What is the physical significance of the surface integral of a sphere?

The surface integral of a sphere has various physical applications, such as calculating the net electric charge enclosed by a spherical shell, the total heat flow through a spherical surface, or the total mass of an object with a spherical shape. It is an important tool in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and mathematics.

Can the surface integral of a sphere be applied to other shapes?

Yes, the concept of surface integral can be applied to any curved surface, not just spheres. The formula and method of calculation may vary depending on the shape of the surface, but the general concept remains the same.

What are some real-life examples of using the surface integral of a sphere?

The surface integral of a sphere has many practical applications, such as calculating the surface area of a basketball or a planet, determining the total electric flux through a spherical capacitor, or finding the total heat transfer through a spherical container. It can also be used in computer graphics to render 3D objects with curved surfaces.