Solving Surface Integral Questions w/Check Solutions

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving calculating a surface integral for three different surfaces: a square, a sphere, and a shifted sphere. The attempt at a solution involves finding the surface element and integrating it with the position vector to find the final answer. There is uncertainty about how to evaluate the dot product in the third case.
c.francis
Surface Integral Question and Solution Check

Hi everyone, this is my first post and I was hoping someone could help me check my solution to this problem (which could be completely wrong) and help me get unstuck at part 3. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Homework Statement

Calculate [tex]\int[/tex]r.ds (a surface integral) where the surface is 1. The square 0<x,y<a at z=b. 2. The surface of sphere whose radius is R centered at origin 3. The same surface centered at x=a, y=0, z=o.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well for the first one, I got the surface element to be 1k, and so r.dS would have to b (right because for position vector r to touch surface its z component would b?).Then integrating you get ab^2.

For 2, I figure that [tex]\hat{r}[/tex] and r are in same direction so r.ds=R so after integrating surface element R^2sin[tex]\vartheta[/tex]*R gives 4R^3[tex]\pi[/tex].

For 3, all I know is the surface element is the same as the previously (so I think) but I don't know how to evaluate the dot product.

Thanks guys

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I just wanted to add that I assumed that the mystery vector r must be touching the same point that the vector "tracing" out the shape is touching. Is that not conceptually correct?

1. How do I set up a surface integral?

To set up a surface integral, you first need to identify the bounds of the surface in terms of two variables, usually denoted as u and v. Then, you need to determine the parametric equations for the surface, which will involve both u and v. Finally, you can use the formula for surface integrals to set up the integral and solve for the desired quantity.

2. What is the purpose of solving surface integral questions?

The purpose of solving surface integral questions is to calculate the flux or flow of a vector field across a given surface. This can help in various applications such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and heat transfer.

3. How do I know if my solution to a surface integral question is correct?

You can check your solution by using a calculator or software program to evaluate the integral, or by using known properties and formulas to simplify your solution. It is also important to carefully check your work and ensure that all steps are correct.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving surface integral questions?

Some common mistakes when solving surface integral questions include incorrectly identifying the bounds of the surface, using the wrong parametric equations, forgetting to include the necessary variables in the integrand, and making calculation errors.

5. Are there any tips for solving surface integral questions more efficiently?

One tip for solving surface integral questions more efficiently is to carefully choose your parametric equations for the surface. Sometimes, choosing simpler equations can make the integral easier to evaluate. It is also helpful to practice and become familiar with common surface shapes and their corresponding parametric equations.