1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface Integral

1. Jan 29, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data I am to use a substitution of variables u = x, v = x + 2y to evaluate the surface integral

int(0,1/2)int(0,1-y) exp(x/(x+y))dxdy

where int(a,b) means integral sign with lower limit a and upper limit b.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution I used the substitution and calculated the Jacobian to be 1/2. However, in the new variables, the integral is now

int(0,1/2)int(0,1+u-v)exp(u/v)dudv

Both variables appearing in one of the integrals doesn't seem right to me - what has gone wrong with the calculation?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2010 #2
    Are you sure you have all factors of 2 correct? E.g. in the denominator of the exponential function, and the integration limit for the inner integral?

It is not a problem that the outer integration variable is part of the inner integral. The opposite however, doesn't make sense.

Torquil

4. Jan 30, 2010 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I get different things for both integrand and limits of integration. Putting x= u into v= x+ 2y gives v= u+ 2y so that y= (v- u)/2. Then x+ y= (v- u)/2+ 2u/2= (u+ v)/2. x/(x+y)= 2u/(u+v), not u/v.

In the x,y plane, the region to be integrated is the quadrilateral with sides x= 0, y= 0, y= 1/2 and x+ y= 1.

With x= 0, u= 0, v= 2y or just u= 0. With y= 0, u= x, v= x or v= u. With y= 1/2, u= x, v= x+1 or v= u+1. Adding u= x and v= x+ 2y gives u+v= 2x+ 2y= 2(x+ y) so with x+y= 1, u+v= 2.

In the xy, plane, the region is a quadrilateral bounded by u= 0, v= u, v=u+1, and u+ v= 2. Now, whether you integrate with respect to u or v first, you are going to have to break that into two pairs of integrals. If you integrate with respect to v first, you will have to have one pair of integrals with u going from 0 to 1/2 and then another with u going from 1/2 to 1. If you integrate with respect to u first, you will have to have a pair of integrals with v going from 0 to 1 and then from 1 to 3/2.

5. Jan 30, 2010 #4
    Sorry, I made a typo, the integral was supposed to be int(0,1/2)int(0,1-2y)exp(x/(x+2y)), hence the substitution.
    Thanks for the help though!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook