Troubleshooting Surface Integral Issues

In summary: I changed the parameterization of the function. That's what I was talking about. I see what you have there now. Makes sense.
Lancelot59
I'm not sure why, but I'm having issues with these in general. Specifically surface integrals over vector fields.

The function is zk. The surface is the paraboloid z=x2+y2 between the planes z=1 and z=2.

I parametrized it like so:
[tex]\vec{r}(u,v)=(u,v,u^{2}+v^{2})[/tex]
[tex]\vec{T_{u}}=(1,0,2u)[/tex]
[tex]\vec{T_{v}}=(0,1,2v)[/tex]
[tex]\vec{N}=(-2u,-2v,1)[/tex]

putting r into F:
[tex]\vec{F}(\vec{r}(u,v))=(u,v,u^{2}+v^{2})[/tex]

The integral then wound up being

[tex]\int_{D}\int \vec{F(\vec{r})} \cdot \vec{N} = \int_{D}\int u^{2}+v^{2} dv du = \int^{2}_{0} \int^{2\pi}_{0} r^{2} * r dr d\theta = 16\pi[/tex]

Which is apparently wrong. What's going on here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Lancelot59 said:
I'm not sure why, but I'm having issues with these in general. Specifically surface integrals over vector fields.

Surface integrals aren't "over vector fields". They are over surfaces.

The function is zk. The surface is the paraboloid z=x2+y2 between the planes z=1 and z=2.

I parametrized it like so:
[tex]\vec{r}(u,v)=(u,v,u^{2}+v^{2})[/tex]
[tex]\vec{T_{u}}=(1,0,2u)[/tex]
[tex]\vec{T_{v}}=(0,1,2v)[/tex]
[tex]\vec{N}=(-2u,-2v,1)[/tex]

putting r into F:
[tex]\vec{F}(\vec{r}(u,v))=(u,v,u^{2}+v^{2})[/tex]

The integral then wound up being

[tex]\int_{D}\int \vec{F(\vec{r})} \cdot \vec{N} = \int_{D}\int u^{2}+v^{2} dv du = \int^{2}_{0} \int^{2\pi}_{0} r^{2} * r dr d\theta = 16\pi[/tex]

Which is apparently wrong. What's going on here?

You haven't used the fact that you only want the part of the surface between the planes z = 1 and z = 2. And were you given an orientation for N and checked it?

LCKurtz said:
Surface integrals aren't "over vector fields". They are over surfaces.
I mixed up my words there. Sorry.

LCKurtz said:
You haven't used the fact that you only want the part of the surface between the planes z = 1 and z = 2. And were you given an orientation for N and checked it?
I forgot to post that. N was to be the outward normal, and by logic what I have there makes sense.

I figured out my problem. I used a bad set of limits, and made a dumb integration error. The issue I really have is picking limits for these problems. I apparently have a tendency for turning things into boxes that shouldn't be.

Lancelot59 said:
I mixed up my words there. Sorry.

I forgot to post that. N was to be the outward normal, and by logic what I have there makes sense.

Are you sure about that? Draw a picture of the paraboloid with an outward normal and think about whether the z component should be positive or negative.

LCKurtz said:
Are you sure about that? Draw a picture of the paraboloid with an outward normal and think about whether the z component should be positive or negative.

Ah. So my normal should be (2u,2v,-1). So I just get the negative of what I had before. Thanks!

Lancelot59 said:
Ah. So my normal should be (2u,2v,-1). So I just get the negative of what I had before. Thanks!

You're welcome. You always should check whether your normal direction agrees with the orientation. Also, in this problem your vector field is directed upward, which is opposite to the orientation, so you can check that your answer comes out negative.

LCKurtz said:
You're welcome. You always should check whether your normal direction agrees with the orientation. Also, in this problem your vector field is directed upward, which is opposite to the orientation, so you can check that your answer comes out negative.

Opposite because the k component of the normal is negative?

You said the vector function to be integrated was [itex]F(x,y,z)= z\vec{k}[/itex]. In terms of your paremeters, u and v, that would be [itex]F(u, v)= (u^2+ v^2)\vec{k}[/itex], NOT [itex]F(u, v)= u\vec{i}+ v\vec{j} + (u^2+ v^2)\vec{k}[/itex] as you have.

Your figure is a paraboloid opening upward. The outward normal will have negative z component and so should be [itex]2u\vec{i}+ 2v\vec{j}- \vec{k}[/itex].

Wouldn't I just have a line up the z axis then?

Lancelot59 said:
Opposite because the k component of the normal is negative?

Opposite because at each point on the surface your vector field F = zk is pointing upwards which is across the surface in the opposite direction from the orientation, which is downwards. Also note Hall's correction which error I didn't notice since somehow you got the integrand right anyway.

Lancelot59 said:
Wouldn't I just have a line up the z axis then?
No, the fact that the vector function to be integrated is zk means the vector field points straight up. That has nothing to do with the surface of integration (which is, after all, a surface, not a line.)

HallsofIvy said:
No, the fact that the vector function to be integrated is zk means the vector field points straight up. That has nothing to do with the surface of integration (which is, after all, a surface, not a line.)

OH! I thought you had changed the parameterization of the function. That's what I was talking about. I see what you have there now. Makes sense.

LCKurtz said:
Opposite because at each point on the surface your vector field F = zk is pointing upwards which is across the surface in the opposite direction from the orientation, which is downwards. Also note Hall's correction which error I didn't notice since somehow you got the integrand right anyway.
That is strange...I must be some kind of genius!

What is a surface integral and why is it important in science?

A surface integral is a mathematical tool used to calculate the total value of a function over a given surface. It is important in science because it allows us to calculate important physical quantities, such as electric and magnetic flux, and solve complex problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

What are some common issues that can arise when performing surface integrals?

Some common issues that can arise when performing surface integrals include incorrect orientation of the surface, incorrect choice of coordinate system, and difficulty in determining the boundaries of the surface. Additionally, mathematical errors and rounding errors may also occur.

How can I troubleshoot surface integral issues?

To troubleshoot surface integral issues, it is important to carefully check the orientation of the surface, use the appropriate coordinate system, and double-check the boundaries of the surface. Additionally, checking for any mathematical errors and adjusting for rounding errors can help resolve issues. It may also be helpful to consult with a colleague or refer to a textbook for guidance.

Are there any software programs or tools that can assist with solving surface integral problems?

Yes, there are several software programs and tools available that can assist with solving surface integral problems. These include mathematical software programs like MATLAB and Mathematica, as well as online calculators and tools specifically designed for surface integrals. These tools can help with graphing, calculating values, and visualizing the surface in question.

How can understanding surface integrals benefit my research or work as a scientist?

Understanding surface integrals can benefit your research or work as a scientist in many ways. It can help you solve complex problems in your field, accurately calculate physical quantities, and gain a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts. Additionally, surface integrals are used in a variety of scientific disciplines, so understanding them can broaden your knowledge and expertise.