1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface integral

1. Oct 8, 2011 #1
    How do i calculate the surface integral

[itex]∫∫xdS[/itex] where [itex]z=x^{2}[/itex] is the parabolic cylinder

over the area [itex]x^{2}+y^{2}=1[/itex]

I do not know how to solve this task because i cant express the surface parametrization in r(x,y).

But when i express it as g(x,z)=0 i get the double integral dependet on dxdz. But i cant use this when the circular transformation is rdrdθ=dxdy

Help!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2011 #2
    Why not just muscle-through it in cartesian coordinates first. So you have a surface integral of a function of three variables f(x,y,z)=x over the surface z=g(x,y)=x^2 that is above the region x^2+y^2=1 in the x-y plane. How would that surface integral look in terms of dydx?

4. Oct 8, 2011 #3
    I do not know how to do it.

r=xi + yj +zk

z=x^2

or

g(x,z)=z-(x^2/2)

is the only thing popping out of my head right now....

5. Oct 8, 2011 #4
    You gotta' look in the book dude:

[tex]\mathop\iint\limits_{\begin{array}{cc}z=f(x,y)=x^2\\x^2+y^2=1\end{array}} x ds=\mathop\iint\limits_{x^2+y^2=1} x \sqrt{(f_x)^2+(f_y)^2+1}dA=\mathop\iint\limits_{x^2+y^2=1} x \sqrt{(f_x)^2+(f_y)^2+1}dydx[/tex]

Now I bet you can then convert that last double integral into an explicit one in terms of just x and y for now with upper and lower limits as well as compute those simple partials right?

6. Oct 9, 2011 #5
    df/dx = 2x

df/dy = 0

sqrt(4x^2 + 1)

The primitive is ((4x^2+1)^1.5)/12

Integration limits over y is then -1 and 1. And -sqrt(1-y^2) and sqrt(1+y^2) over x.

If im right, then i do not know how to solve the integral involving dx. It looks like it results into zero because of symmetry. (x^2, positive for both limits)

im doing my best, help me out if you want.

7. Oct 9, 2011 #6
    You got the limits conceptually right but reversed:

[tex]\mathop\iint\limits_{x^2+y^2=1} x\sqrt{4x^2+1}dydx=\int_{-1}^{1} \int_{-\sqrt{1-x^2}}^{\sqrt{1-x^2}} x \sqrt{4x^2+1} dydx[/tex]

and I agree with you: because of symmetry, that's zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook