1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface Integral

1. May 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Evaluate ∫∫σ where S is a surface with sides S1, S2, and S3. S1 is a portion of the cylinder x2+y2 = 1 whose bottom S2 is the disk x2+y2 ≤ 1 and whose top S3 is the portion of the plane z = 1 + x that lies above S2.

2. Relevant equations
    Surface integrals, and vector calculus.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am more stuck with starting this problem. Do I need to do two surface integrals, or something else? I am just completely lost on what to do here...

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What are you integrating over the surface? You can do it by integrating over the three surfaces and adding them or you might replace the surface integral with a volume integral using the divergence theorem if you just need the total over all three surfaces. Just start doing something.

4. May 7, 2013 #3
    I though I could only use the divergence theorem for flux?

5. May 7, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Of course, if it's not a flux integral then you can't use the divergence theorem. That's why I was asking WHAT you are integrating.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted