1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface Integral

1. Apr 10, 2005 #1
    Could someone take a look at this please? Thanks

Q. Evaluate Integral A.n dS for the following case:
    A=(6z, 2x+y, -x) and S is the entire surface of the region bounded by the cylinder x^2 + z^2 = 9, x=0, y=0, z=0 and y=8.

Using Gauss' (or Divergence) Theorem:

Integral A.n dS = Integral Div A dV

Div A = 1, therefore

Integral 1 dV

When I last did this question, I said that dV = pi*r^2*h where r^2=9 and h=8. However, I've also got a factor of 1/4 to give me the final answer of 18pi. Where the hell did the quarter come from?! I'm guessing it has something to do with the limits and the fact that it's bounded by x=0, y=0 and z=0, but I don't understand why! Anyone offer some advice?!
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2005 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You think it right. The bases of the cylinder are parallel to the (xy) plane at y =0 and y=8. The (z,y) plane at x=0 cuts the cylinder into half. The other plane, (x,y) at z=0 does the same, so you have a quarter of a cylinder of length h=8.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  4. Apr 10, 2005 #3
    thanks ever so much! :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?