Surface Integrals: What am I doing wrong?

In summary, it is recommended to double-check the integration steps and the problem statement to find the source of the discrepancy in the final answer. Seeking a second opinion from a colleague or professor may also be helpful in identifying any mistakes.
math_maj0r
Problem: evaluate the double integral of yz over that part of the plane z=y+3 which is inside the cylinder x2+y2=1

I evaluated with respect to z, from z=0 to z=y+3

I got (y3+9y+6y2)/2. Then I integrated this over x2+y2=1. To do that, I switched to polar coordinates, letting x=rcos(theta), y=2sin(theta)

To set up the integral, I used the formula: double integral of [f(x,y,z) dS] = double integral of [f(R(u,v))(multitude of cross product of derivative of R with respect to u, and derivative of R with respect to v) dA] where R is a vector

In my case, R = rcos(theta)i + rsin(theta)j
and u=r, and v=theta

I got (multitude of cross product of derivative of R with respect to u, and derivative of R with respect to v) = r

Then I integrated [r3sin3(theta) +9sin(theta)+3r2sin2(theta)]r r dr d(theta) over r from 0 to 1, and theta from 0 to 2pi

My final answer was 3pi/5. The correct answer is 21/2pi/4

What did I do wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your work and your question. It looks like you have set up the integral correctly and used the appropriate change of variables to switch to polar coordinates. However, there may be a mistake in your integration process.

I would suggest double-checking your integration steps and making sure that you are correctly integrating each term in the integrand. It is possible that there was an error in one of your calculations or in setting up the limits of integration.

Another possibility is that there may be a typo in the original problem or in the provided correct answer. I would recommend double-checking the problem statement and the correct answer to make sure they match up with your work.

If you are still having trouble, I would suggest consulting with a colleague or your professor to get a second opinion on your work. They may be able to spot the error or provide additional guidance.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

1. What is a surface integral?

A surface integral is a mathematical tool used to calculate the total value of a function over a given surface. It is similar to a regular integral, but instead of integrating over a one-dimensional interval, it integrates over a two-dimensional surface.

2. How do I know if I am doing a surface integral correctly?

To ensure that you are doing a surface integral correctly, you should first make sure that you understand the concept of a surface integral and the specific formula you are using. Then, carefully follow the steps of the formula and check your calculations for any mistakes. Finally, you can compare your result with the expected result or use an online calculator to verify your answer.

3. What are some common mistakes made when doing surface integrals?

Some common mistakes made when doing surface integrals include using the wrong formula, not correctly identifying the limits of integration, and making calculation errors. It is important to double-check your work and be familiar with the specific formula you are using to avoid these mistakes.

4. How do surface integrals relate to real-world applications?

Surface integrals have many real-world applications, particularly in physics, engineering, and mathematics. They can be used to calculate the mass, center of mass, and moments of inertia of an object, as well as to solve problems involving fluid flow, electric and magnetic fields, and heat transfer over a surface.

5. What resources can I use to improve my understanding of surface integrals?

There are many resources available to help improve your understanding of surface integrals, including textbooks, online tutorials and courses, and practice problems. You can also seek help from a tutor or consult with a colleague or professor for additional support and clarification.