1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Surface Integrals: What am I doing wrong?

1. Jan 26, 2010 #1
    Problem: evaluate the double integral of yz over that part of the plane z=y+3 which is inside the cylinder x2+y2=1

I evaluated with respect to z, from z=0 to z=y+3

I got (y3+9y+6y2)/2. Then I integrated this over x2+y2=1. To do that, I switched to polar coordinates, letting x=rcos(theta), y=2sin(theta)

To set up the integral, I used the formula: double integral of [f(x,y,z) dS] = double integral of [f(R(u,v))(multitude of cross product of derivative of R with respect to u, and derivative of R with respect to v) dA] where R is a vector

In my case, R = rcos(theta)i + rsin(theta)j
    and u=r, and v=theta

I got (multitude of cross product of derivative of R with respect to u, and derivative of R with respect to v) = r

Then I integrated [r3sin3(theta) +9sin(theta)+3r2sin2(theta)]r r dr d(theta) over r from 0 to 1, and theta from 0 to 2pi

My final answer was 3pi/5. The correct answer is 21/2pi/4

What did I do wrong?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2010
  2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted