1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface Integrals

1. Nov 10, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Compute the surface integral:

g = xyz on x^2+y^2+z^2 = 1 above z^2=x^2+y^2.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm only doubtful about the parameterization. Under normal circumstances, since x^2+y^2+z^2 = 1 is a sphere, we can write:

r = (SinCos[v])i + (SinSin[v])j + (Cos)k.

However, how do you account for the "above z^2=x^2+y^2."

Do I simply sum the square of the x and y components and write:

r = (SinCos[v])i + (SinSin[v])j + (Sin^2)k.

Is this correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, of course not! z^2= x^2+ y^2 has nothing to do with the sphere- it is below the sphere!

z^2= x^2+ y^2 is a cone with axis the positive z-axis. Since you are only concerned with the surface area, you would only use that to determine the limits of integration. In spherical (angular) coordinates, x= SinCos[v], y= SinSin[v] and z= Cos. Obviously, x^2+ y^2= Sin^2(u) and z^2= Cos^2(u). The equaton of the cone is just Sin^2(u)= Cos^2(u) which results in (since we are talking about z> 0 here) u= [itex]\pi/4[/itex]. v ([itex]\theta[/itex] in spherical coordinates) goes from 0 to 2[itex]\pi[/itex] and u ([itex]\phi[/itex] in spherical coordinates) goes from 0 to [itex]\pi/4[/itex].

4. Nov 10, 2007 #3
    Thanks a lot once again

Thanks very much again HallsofIvy!!!:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?