1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface interpolation in 3D

1. Jun 6, 2014 #1
    If given three points ##P_0 = (x_0, y_0)##, ##P_1 = (x_1, y_1)## and ##P_2 = (x_2, y_2)##, the polynomial function ##f(x)## that intersect those points is ##f(x) = a_2 x^2 + a_1 x^1 + a_0 x^0##.

where:
    ##
    \begin{bmatrix}
    a_0\\
    a_1\\
    a_2\\
    \end{bmatrix}
    =

\begin{bmatrix}
    x_0^0 & x_1^0 & x_2^0 \\
    x_0^1 & x_1^1 & x_2^1 \\
    x_0^2 & x_1^2 & x_2^2 \\
    \end{bmatrix}^{-T}

\begin{bmatrix}
    y_0\\
    y_1\\
    y_2\\
    \end{bmatrix}##

Ok, but if is given points in the space with coordinates ##P_1 = (x_1 ,y_1 ,z_1)##, ##P_2 = (x_2 ,y_2 ,z_2)##, ##P_3 = (x_3 ,y_3 ,z_3)##, ..., ##P_n = (x_n ,y_n ,z_n)##... is possible to determine the coefficients of the polynomial function of 2 variables, ##f(x,y) = Ax^2+Bxy+Cy^2+Dx+Ey+F##, in function of the point's coordinates (like above in the 2D case)?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2014 #2
    Hi !
    The method to solve this problem is given in section 4, pages 8-9 of the paper : http://fr.scribd.com/doc/14819165/Regressions-coniques-quadriques-circulaire-spherique
    The correspondance of notations with your notations is as follows :
    The polynomial function of 2 variables is: ##f(x,y) = a_1x^2+a_2xy+a_3y^2+a_4x+a_5y+a_6##
    The given points are ##P_1 = (x_1 ,y_1 ,z_1)##, ##P_2 = (x_2 ,y_2 ,z_2)##, ##P_3 = (x_3 ,y_3 ,z_3)##, ..., ##P_n = (x_n ,y_n ,z_n)##...
    ##F_1(x,y)=x^2##
    ##F_2(x,y)=xy##
    ##F_3(x,y)=y^2##
    ##F_4(x,y)=x##
    ##F_5(x,y)=y##
    ##F_6(x,y)=1##
    The number of coefficients is ##p=6##
    Then with the formulas given in the paper, compute the sums ##B_{i,j}## and ##C_i## where ##0<i<7## and ##0<j<7##
    In the formula of ##C_i## written in the paper, the symbol ##y_k## must be replaced by your symbol ##z_k##
    Then, solve the matrix system as shown in the paper page 9, leading to the values of the coefficients.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook