Surface Mount to DIP Adapter

• Thread starter akhurash
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I'm trying to find a surface mount to DIP adapter for a custom part. The length between the two surface mount contacts is about 4.40mm. I attached a simple drawing of the part. I'm having a hard time finding a DIP adpater because the part is custom made and I was wondering if anyone knows an adapter that would work. I can't make my own.

Attachments

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
I'm trying to find a surface mount to DIP adapter for a custom part. The length between the two surface mount contacts is about 4.40mm. I attached a simple drawing of the part. I'm having a hard time finding a DIP adpater because the part is custom made and I was wondering if anyone knows an adapter that would work. I can't make my own.
There are only two contacts total? So you want to make an adapter from 2 SMT pads to 2 through-hole socket pins? Or are there more contacts in the pattern that you have not shown?

For adapters, I've used Emulation Technology with good success:

http://www.emulation.com/

They also can make custom adapters (for a fee) if nothing is available off-the-shelf.

Thank you for the reply berkeman. Yes, I need an adapter from 2 SMT pads to 2 through-hole socket pins. I have to test multiple of these custom parts and I thought it would be easier and a little safer to put them on an adapter rather than soldering wires to them (like how I have been doing).

berkeman
Mentor
Thank you for the reply berkeman. Yes, I need an adapter from 2 SMT pads to 2 through-hole socket pins. I have to test multiple of these custom parts and I thought it would be easier and a little safer to put them on an adapter rather than soldering wires to them (like how I have been doing).
For just 2 pads, I'd wire them to a ZIF socket's top two socket locations, and mount the ZIF socket on a small prototype board and bolt that to something (the SMT board, for example). Would that work?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAvWP7RhP9bEBwtkWPZ2ZFY4y-byFhjreK8UrLq-fPNDUW6ArfIVjKcQv2.jpg