1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface Mount to DIP Adapter

1. Sep 28, 2012 #1
    I'm trying to find a surface mount to DIP adapter for a custom part. The length between the two surface mount contacts is about 4.40mm. I attached a simple drawing of the part. I'm having a hard time finding a DIP adpater because the part is custom made and I was wondering if anyone knows an adapter that would work. I can't make my own.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2012 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

There are only two contacts total? So you want to make an adapter from 2 SMT pads to 2 through-hole socket pins? Or are there more contacts in the pattern that you have not shown?

For adapters, I've used Emulation Technology with good success:

http://www.emulation.com/

They also can make custom adapters (for a fee) if nothing is available off-the-shelf.

4. Oct 1, 2012 #3
    Thank you for the reply berkeman. Yes, I need an adapter from 2 SMT pads to 2 through-hole socket pins. I have to test multiple of these custom parts and I thought it would be easier and a little safer to put them on an adapter rather than soldering wires to them (like how I have been doing).

5. Oct 1, 2012 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

For just 2 pads, I'd wire them to a ZIF socket's top two socket locations, and mount the ZIF socket on a small prototype board and bolt that to something (the SMT board, for example). Would that work?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAvWP7RhP9bEBwtkWPZ2ZFY4y-byFhjreK8UrLq-fPNDUW6ArfIVjKcQv2.jpg

6. Oct 1, 2012 #5
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook