Surface of a spherical cap

In summary, the conversation discusses the surface area of a spherical cap and the possibility of cutting the cap into equal horizontal slices with the same surface area. It is determined that this is possible by varying the spacing, and calculus can be used to find the surface area of each slice. However, this is surprising as it goes against the formula for the surface area of a spherical cap. The conversation ends with a suggestion to use calculus to prove this.
bobie
Gold Member
from wiki:
If the radius of the base of the cap is a, and the height of the cap is h, then the curved surface area of the spherical cap is
[itex]A = 2 \pi r h.[/itex]

Suppose we have a hemisphere of radius 10 r10 (a) and cut it in ten horizontal slices (1 is on the top), does that mean that all slices have the same surface ?

even slice 1 has surface 62.8 (2\pi *10*1)? and its a (r1) =4.36?
so, the area of slice 4 (like all others) is
2pi*10*4-2pi*10*3 = 2pi*10= 62.8

is this correct?
If it is not, what is the formula to find the area and a (r1) of slice 1?

Thanks

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
It is possible to cut the horizontal slices so that each has the same surface area by varying the spacing.
To work out the surface area of each slice - use calculus.

Simon Bridge said:
It is possible to cut the horizontal slices so that each has the same surface area by varying the spacing.
To work out the surface area of each slice - use calculus.
Hi Simon, thanks. I am just starting to learn calculus.
If I understood what you said, if we cut 10 equal slices of 1 cm , they will not have the same surface?
Could you show me how to frame the equation(s)?
Thanks

That's right - I would be surprised if the areas came out the same.

If we say that the floor is the x-y plane and up is the +z axis, then you start by dividing the whole hemisphere (radius R) into very thin disks - thickness "dz". Then you want to work out the equation for the surface area "dS" of the disk between z and z+dz in terms of z and R.

Simon Bridge said:
That's right - I would be surprised if the areas came out the same.
Then I misinterpreted wiki?

If the radius of the base of the cap is a, and the height of the cap is h, then the curved surface area of the spherical cap is
[itex]A = 2 \pi r h.[/itex]
Because if we find the area of the slice on the 'floor' S 9 subtracting the cap with h = 9 (2pi*10*9) = 565.48 from the hemisphere 628,3 we get 62.8
and the same happens all the way to the top to S1
Wher did I go wrong?

Hah - I just tried it out and I am surprised ;) - try of for 2 slices.
I still think your best proof involves doing the calculus.

Likes 1 person
Simon Bridge said:
Hah - I just tried it out and I am surprised .

I was, too, that's why I checked here, it seems amazing, right!
If you are intrigued, check by calculus, and let me know!

Yes. This is one of the reasons I like to answer questions here - sometimes someone surprises me.
This is the sort of thing that is obvious in retrospect.

1. What is the surface area of a spherical cap?

The surface area of a spherical cap is calculated by multiplying the radius of the sphere by the height of the cap and then multiplying that by pi (π). The formula for surface area is A = 2πrh.

2. How do you find the radius of a spherical cap?

The radius of a spherical cap can be found by using the formula r = √(R^2 - h^2), where R is the radius of the sphere and h is the height of the cap.

3. What is the volume of a spherical cap?

The volume of a spherical cap is calculated by multiplying the radius of the sphere by the height of the cap and then multiplying that by one-third of pi (π). The formula for volume is V = (1/3)πh(3R^2 - h^2).

4. How is a spherical cap different from a hemisphere?

A spherical cap is a portion of a sphere that is cut off by a plane, while a hemisphere is half of a sphere. A spherical cap has a flat circular base, while a hemisphere has a curved base.

5. What are some real-life applications of spherical caps?

Spherical caps are commonly used in architecture and engineering, such as in the design of domes and arches. They are also used in optics, such as in the shape of lenses. In physics, spherical caps are used to model the shape of water droplets and bubbles. Additionally, they have applications in geology, astronomy, and biology.