Calculating the Surface of Revolution: Solving a Challenging Integral

In summary, the conversation is about integrating a function to obtain the surface of revolution. The original function is \sqrt{\frac{x^2(1-x^2)}{8}} and the surface of revolution formula is S = \int_a^b2\pi f(x)\sqrt{1+(\frac{dy}{dx})^2}dx. The conversation includes attempts at solving the integral, using a calculator/CAS, and simplifying the equation. The final simplified equation is 2\pi\int_{-1}^{1} \sqrt\frac{x^2 (1 - x^2)}{8}dx.
gimpycpu
Greeting everyone I am trying in integrate this function, to obtain the surface of revolution of a function.

1. Relevant equations

[itex]\int_{-1}^{1} 2\pi\sqrt\frac{x^2 (1 - x^2)}{8}\sqrt{1+(\left| x\right | \frac{-2x^2+1}{2(-x^2+1)^{1/2}*2^{1/2}x}})^2[/itex]

2. The attempt at a solution

I tried to calculate the limit when x = 1 but I can't seems to get the result

If someone would just have a hint on how to calculate the limit of this integral I would appreciate.

Thank you

Jonathan

Physics news on Phys.org
heh, I've been having troubles with integrating these as well.
The textbook just punts, so I've kinda given up trying to compute exact areas of these (even the solutions manual is setting the integrals up and then using a calculator/CAS to approximate a numerical value).

that's a crazy f(x) though. Are you sure that's what was given in the original problem?
Pull the [itex]2\pi[/itex] out to the front before trying to calculate it, though.

Hehe I know right the original function is

[itex]\sqrt{ \frac{x^2 (1 - x^2)}{8}}[/itex]

so I have to do the surface of revolution formula on this

which is defined

[itex]S = \int_a^b2\pi f(x)\sqrt{1+(\frac{dy}{dx})^2}dx[/itex]

Right... I assume that the derivative there is correct (although, it looks strange for some reason. Product/quotient rule derivatives often do though), and that it's been squared correctly (which is probably another reason why it looks wierd).

Anyway, here's what MS Math does with it:
ScreenHunter_03 Sep. 30 15.00.jpg

I'm not even going to try to punch all of that into my TI-84 (zOMG), especially since it would proably just choke on it anyway. I think that's as far as you can take that problem (without some additional calculus that I have no idea how to perform).

I think that I found it,

you can reduce the big squareroot of death to a mere
[itex]\sqrt{1+\frac{-1}{-∞}} = 1[/itex] so the final equation is equal to

[itex]\int_{-1}^{1} 2\pi\sqrt\frac{x^2 (1 - x^2)}{8} * 1 dx[/itex]
[itex] = 2\pi\int_{-1}^{1} \sqrt\frac{x^2 (1 - x^2)}{8}dx[/itex]

which is a lot simplier to integrate

Last edited:
huh... cool. How'd you do that simplification, though? It looks vaguely familiar for some reason (the -1/-infinity), but I can't place it.

What is a surface of revolution?

A surface of revolution is a three-dimensional shape that is created by rotating a two-dimensional curve around an axis. This results in a shape that is symmetrical around the axis of rotation.

What are some examples of surfaces of revolution?

Some common examples of surfaces of revolution include spheres, cylinders, and cones. Other less common examples include tori (donuts) and paraboloids.

How are surfaces of revolution used in real life?

Surfaces of revolution are commonly used in engineering and design, as they can be easily created with rotational symmetry. They are also used in architecture, art, and even in nature, such as the shape of a snail's shell.

What is the difference between a surface of revolution and a surface of translation?

A surface of revolution is created by rotating a curve around an axis, while a surface of translation is created by moving a curve along a straight line. This results in different shapes, with surfaces of revolution being more symmetrical and surfaces of translation having more linear features.

How are surfaces of revolution calculated and modeled?

Surfaces of revolution can be calculated using mathematical equations, such as the equation for a circle or ellipse. They can also be modeled using computer software programs, such as CAD or 3D modeling software, which allow for precise and customizable creations.