Can you explain the coupling of surface plasmons with photons?

In summary, the conversation discusses the coupling of a surface plasmon with a photon for the generation of a surface plasmon polariton. The concept of coupling is explained as an interaction that connects two states of a system, specifically in this case, the presence or absence of a photon and a surface plasmon. The dispersion curves of the photon and surface plasmon are shown to illustrate the need for energy and momentum conservation in efficient coupling. The use of a grating coupler to overcome the mismatch in momentum is also mentioned. Additionally, it is mentioned that the coupling can be understood from a microscopic level through transformations of the Hamiltonian.
Singulani
Hi everyone,

I am trying to figure out what is the coupling of a surface plasmon with a photon for the generation of a surface plasmon polariton. In fact I don't understand what a coupling is in this context. Some texts say that for the coupling to happen is necessary that the dispersion curve for the photon touchs the dispersion curve of the surface plasmon and I don't know the reason. If anybody could enlight me what a coupling is and how is this connected with the dispersion curves encounters (momentum conservation) I would be very pleased. In the graph below is plotted the dispersion curves for the SP and a photon (Wikipedia), just for illustration.

Thanks for your attention an patience.

[PLAIN]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e8/Dispersion_Relationship.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure I understand exactly where your problem is, but in your context coupling is just an interaction which connects two states of your system. In your case these are the following states:

1.: One photon present, no surface plasmon present
2.: No photon present, one surface plasmon present

In other words, it must be possible to optically excite the plasmon.

The dispersions shown give the photon/plasmon energy depending on their momentum. If you want photons and surface plasmons to couple efficiently, their dispersions must cross as you need conservation of energy and momentum. If they do not cross, you need additional particles (phonons for example) to carry away the remaining momentum, which decreases the efficiency of your coupling.

well there are a few things going on here. First the figure above only represents the dispersion relation for SPP on a smooth film. As mentioned by Cthugha the only way for coupling happens occurs when energy and momentum are matched. This means that without any features on the film light can not couple to plasmons on the film since the SPP curve is to the right of the light line.

Now for many applications the easiest way to overcome this is to create a grating coupler. (ie a periodic structure) I will not go into this now as I need to get some dinner.

j

From a microscopic point of view, to get the SP-Photon coupling, one may start with a Hamiltonian supposed to describe a system of electrons and photons, and then make some transformations to arrive at the representation in which SP and photons are the direct entities, and as a result, the original electron-photon interaction is turned into the SP-photon interaction.

Just to put it into other words, what (it seems, based on your question) you want to couple is a free space photon mode (i.e. a point on the blue line) with an SPP mode (i.e. a point on the red curve). Efficient coupling between two such modes means that you can excite a corresponding SPP with a corresponding photon.

As others have said above, the SPP modes carry more momentum than the free space photon modes (see: your plot), therefore you need some mechanism to give the additional momentum boost (e.g. a grating coupler).

cmos said:
As others have said above, the SPP modes carry more momentum than the free space photon modes (see: your plot), therefore you need some mechanism to give the additional momentum boost (e.g. a grating coupler).

You know I have understood this for a few years now, but this is one of the simplest statements of the coupling I have seen to date. thanks

1. What is surface plasmon coupling?

Surface plasmon coupling is a phenomenon that occurs when the electromagnetic field of a light wave interacts with the free electrons on the surface of a metal nanoparticle. This interaction results in the formation of a collective oscillation of the electrons, known as a surface plasmon.

2. How does surface plasmon coupling work?

Surface plasmon coupling works by the incident light wave creating an oscillating electric field at the surface of the metal nanoparticle. This electric field then induces a collective oscillation of the free electrons, which results in the formation of the surface plasmon.

3. What are the applications of surface plasmon coupling?

Surface plasmon coupling has a wide range of applications in various fields, including biosensing, optical imaging, and nanophotonics. It is also used in plasmonic devices, such as plasmonic sensors and plasmonic waveguides.

4. What are the factors that affect surface plasmon coupling?

The factors that affect surface plasmon coupling include the size and shape of the metal nanoparticle, the wavelength and polarization of the incident light, and the dielectric properties of the surrounding medium. The distance between the metal nanoparticle and any nearby structures can also affect the coupling.

5. How is surface plasmon coupling studied and measured?

Surface plasmon coupling can be studied and measured using various techniques, including surface plasmon resonance spectroscopy, dark-field microscopy, and electron energy loss spectroscopy. These techniques allow scientists to study the effects of different parameters and optimize the coupling for specific applications.