1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface Pressure and Buoyancy

1. Nov 13, 2007 #1
    Ok here goes,
    A cubical box 25.00 cm on each side is immersed in a fluid. The pressure at the top surface of the box is 109.4 kPa and the pressure on the bottom surface is 112.0 kPa. What is the density of the fluid.

I know density=mass/volume and I know my teacher gave us another long formula in class that I never understood so that is about all I know about these problems.

My attempt at a solution: I dont even know what the problem is asking so I dont have much of an attempt at it. If anyone could explain the concept to me and/or let me know of some formulas that might help me that would be great. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2007 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

The change in pressure is simply [itex]\rho[/itex]gh, where [itex]\rho[/itex] is the fluid density and h is the differential height over which the pressure difference is measured.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/pflu.html

So knowing the pressure at bottom is 109.4 kPa and at top the pressure is 112.0 kPa, equate the difference to [itex]\rho[/itex]gh.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?