What Causes Surface Tension Force to Hold a Needle on Water?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of surface tension and its application in a specific example involving a needle floating on water. The surface tension forces are considered to be the only ones acting in the example, as any internal forces within the system are inconsequential in determining the net force. The conversation also touches on the intermolecular forces that keep the superficial layer of water intact and the differences between a wire frame and a needle on the surface.
dobry_den
Hi! I'm revising for my graduation exams and I unfortunately got stuck thinking about surface tension, esp about the example of a needle lying on water. When you look on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:SurftensionDiagram.gif" drawing? Or do surface forces act (exist) only along "seperation" lines? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is no NET force in those reddened points. The infinitesimal thickness of the layer water in contact with the solid is in internal equilibrium. If you slice the film on those points the net force is zero. It's pretty similar to what happens in a middle section of a loaded beam. Even though there are internal stresses the stress distribution is such that elastic equilibrium holds in each section of the beam. On those places on which there is no force exerted by the solid the internal equilibrium must hold too, and the internal surface tension force is canceled with the hydrostatic pressure, that's why you see curvature even on zones that are not in direct contact with the solid. Imagine the layer of fluid as a belt that surrounds the needle and has some elastic (in this case surface tension) energy stored on it because of the action of the solid over it.

thanks for your reply, but unfortunately i don't really get it... could you elaborate on that a little?

When you want to find the net force on a part of your system, yo do not have to worry about the various forces internal to that part. For instance, to find the tension in a length of string, you consider the string (or some part of it) as your system and look at the forces acting on its ends. That there are "similar" forces acting at every point inside this selected system is inconsequential to the determination of the net force acting on the system.

Likewise with surface tension.

Still a little bit confused. I know what you mean by the loaded timber, but what exactly attracts the molecules in the surface layer together, so they don't draw aside under the needle?

In textbooks, when illustrating the surface tension force, an example with a wire frame and a wire slider is used. But that's - in my opinion - is quite different from the example with a needle since the wire slider is on the edge of the surface, not lying ON the surface.

dobry_den said:
Still a little bit confused. I know what you mean by the loaded timber, but what exactly attracts the molecules in the surface layer together, so they don't draw aside under the needle?

In textbooks, when illustrating the surface tension force, an example with a wire frame and a wire slider is used. But that's - in my opinion - is quite different from the example with a needle since the wire slider is on the edge of the surface, not lying ON the surface.

As far as I remember the superficial layer of water does not break down due to an disbalance in the intermolecular forces in the molecules that are lying on the surface. That intermolecular force acts on let's say the coordinate 's' which represents a tangential coordinate to the water surface, in a similar manner that tension force acts perpendicular to every section of the string mentioned by gokul.

1. What is surface tension force?

Surface tension force is a phenomenon that occurs at the interface of a liquid and a gas or another liquid. It is the force that holds the molecules of a liquid together and creates a "skin" or surface on the top of the liquid.

2. How is surface tension force measured?

Surface tension force is typically measured in units of force per unit length, such as newtons per meter. One common method of measurement is the drop weight method, where a drop of liquid is suspended from a needle and the weight required to detach the drop is measured.

3. What factors affect surface tension force?

Surface tension force is affected by several factors, including temperature, the type of liquid, and the presence of impurities. As temperature increases, surface tension decreases. Different liquids have different surface tensions, with water having a relatively high surface tension. Impurities can also decrease surface tension.

4. How does surface tension force affect the behavior of liquids?

Surface tension force plays a crucial role in the behavior of liquids. It allows insects like water striders to walk on water, and allows small objects like paper clips to float on the surface of water. Surface tension also causes liquids to form droplets, and can affect the flow of liquids in tubes or other confined spaces.

5. Can surface tension force be manipulated?

Yes, surface tension force can be manipulated through various methods. Adding surfactants or detergents can decrease surface tension, while increasing temperature can decrease it. Surface tension can also be affected by electric fields, which can be used in applications such as inkjet printing and microfluidics.