1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface Tension problem

1. Dec 12, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mechanic...cs-spring-2013/assignments/MIT2_06S13_ps2.pdf
    Problem 7

2. Relevant equations
    ##F=2*V/(a^2)*\sigma*cos(180-\theta)##

3. The attempt at a solution
    With the problem statement given, it seems like the component of surface tension in the vertical direction on the upper plate would be in the same direction as the proposed required force due to the surface being non-wetting, thus no need for an actual force F to hold the plates together. I don't see what kind of force would want to push the plates apart? I came to that equation after some fiddling around, it seems like it could be correct, but I don't have an intuitive understanding why it would be so.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2014 #2
    As a result of the surface tension effect, is the pressure in the liquid between the plates higher of lower than the pressure of the surrounding atmosphere?

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted