1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface tension

1. Sep 4, 2007 #1
    i am doing a physics assignment on the realationship between surface tension and temperature. i have calculated the surface tension at various temperatures using a capillary tube and measuring the height. i was given the formula:
    surface tension=(densityxradius of tubeheight of columnxgravity)/ 2
    i have calculated the surface tension, however, im not sure what units it is in. density was measured in g/mm^2, radius and height were measured in mm, gravity was measured in mm/s. im not sure if the answer will be dyns/cm or ergs/cm^2? or even something else? thankyou

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2007 #2
    First of all convert all the mm reading to cm. Also measure the density in gms per cm^2 and g as cm/s^2. Now you will get in dynes/cm.

4. Sep 4, 2007 #3
    surface tension=force*length.

[tex]f=MLT^{-2}[/tex]
    Hence surface tension=[tex]ML^2T^{-2}[/tex]

5. Sep 4, 2007 #4
    I think that you have made some mistake. Surface tension is force/length.It is torque which is force*length(radius). So surface tension would be ML^0T^-2

6. Sep 6, 2007 #5
    thanyou both so much. lets hope a get an A on my assignment! thanks again

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?