Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface tension

1. Sep 18, 2005 #1
    How does ST vary with temerature? Is there a mathematical relationship?
    Also, does the sound water make on splashing have anything to do with its ST?Like,hot water makes a different sound from cold water etc.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2005 #2
    Surface Tension lowers with increasing temperature as the increasing motion of the molecules disturbs the bonds between the molecules in the liquid.

There almost certainly is a relationship for it....

Why don't you try the last question you asked? I assume you have a kettle at home, you can let us know what happened.

4. Sep 21, 2005 #3
    I think HW splashes more and sounds different from CW(I can't really express the difference in words though) because due to its lower ST the drops fall independent of each other and each produces its own splash and sound. But I think there is another reason for it too, though I cannot say exactly what. Could someone please shed some light on this? And also on the mathematical relation b/w ST and temp. ?

5. Sep 25, 2005 #4
    :uhh: But I read somewhere later that HW actually splashes less and makes less sound than CW.Then what is wrong with my above theory?And is the second reason related to fluid dynamics?Just wondering.

6. Sep 26, 2005 #5
    Waiting...

7. Sep 29, 2005 #6
    Still WAITING....

8. Sep 29, 2005 #7

Mk

9. Sep 30, 2005 #8
    The link does not have an answer ,only the same question.

10. Oct 9, 2005 #9
    I read somewhere that HW sounds different from CW because of steam bubbles in it Where does thet leave ST?Does it have no role to play?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?